1src Forums

1src Forums (http://www.1src.com/forums/index.php)
-   Video (http://www.1src.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   DVD -> MQV (or avi for mmplayer) without middlestep-conversions (http://www.1src.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47282)

Egalus 04-04-2004 05:08 AM

DVD -> MQV (or avi for mmplayer) without middlestep-conversions

************version history****************************

4.4.04 first version of this guide
6.4.04 added needed mpeg2source dll file to downloadlist and added installation instructions for it. (thx to pusfarm for the errorreport)
6.4.04 added Resize function Information to Script in Part B)
10.4.04 added the DVD-mmplayer Avi specific Part D2)
11.4.04 added Installinstructions for vfapiconv (sorry about not
remembering to mention that one before) and added a detailed example for changing registry framerate key
4.5.04 added patchinfo if vfapi won't open .avs files (thx to sixseven)
4.5.04 added autocrop info for .AVS file (thx to sixseven again)
1.9.04 added information on IC (check the IC section of the guide) problems with frameratesteps other than 0.5 (strangely enough the ic default setting is 14.985 fps) (again thx to sixseven)

DVD -> MQV (or avi for mmplayer) without middlestep-conversions

I always asked myself why I needed to convert a DVD to divx (which I chose to take due to better imagequality) or mpeg1 to be able to convert it with Imageconverter to MQV. This middlestep-conversion always needs a large amount of time and space and just drops your MQV videoquality.
Finally I found a possibility (on windows systems) to get around this unwanted middlestep-conversions.

What you need is a ripped DVD or non-CSS encoded, unripped DVD.
As ripping of CSS encoded DVDs is prohibited I will not explain how to do it, as I do not know how to do it.

For all webpagelinks following I once state, that all content on those pages is written by someone else and I can not be made responsible if the owner(s) of these site(s) change their content to anything illegal or if subpages of these site(s) contain anything illegal, as I for sure never travelled to all subpages of the pages I mention here.

Other things you need:
a) Avisynth (Version 2.5.4 or higher) http://www.avisynth.org - A Frameserver for windows
b) VFapi (Version 1.0.5 recommended) http://www.doom9.org/Soft21/Support...onv-1.05-EN.zip
c) Some Directshow AC3 decoder (I don't know where mine comes from, I guess from an installed DVD-Player-Software. If you don't have one, take the one mentioned at the bottom of this page http://www.avisynth.org/index.php?p...rectShowSource.
d) DVD2Avi (1.77.3 recommended) http://arbor.ee.ntu.edu.tw/~jackei/dvd2avi/
e) mpeg2dec3.dll http://www.avisynth.org/warpenterpr...ecodefix100.zip
f1) an installed version of imageconverter for MQV encoding
or
f2) Virtualdub for avi generation (for mmplayer) and the codec you want to encode to with Virtualdub (divx or xvid for example)
g) about 2GB Diskspace for temporary files.

----------------------------------------------------------------
0) Program Installation
----------------------------------------------------------------
Every Program comes with an installer (except vfapiconv-1.05-EN.zip and decodefix100.zip, which actually holds a dll we need), so most of the installation should be really easy.
vfapiconv)
-------------
Unzip the files to a directory of your choice. After unzipping tot he right location once run vifpset.bat before you run VFAPIConvEN.exe (else vfapiconv will not work correctly)

decodefix100.zip)
-----------------------
After Installation of Avisynth you need to unpack decodefix100.zip (to any folder you want). Now copy MPEG2Dec3dg.dll from decodefix100 to your avisynth plugin directory (for standard install this should be c:\program files\avisynth\plugins).

I now assume you have all the software you need and will start with the actual guide ;)

----------------------------------
A) Creating a DVD2Avi Project File
----------------------------------
1) start DVD2avi
2) use File/Open to search for the vobfile you want to convert (If it is a Vobset like VTS_01_x.Vob select one of the files an press Open).
3) If you opened a Vob of a Vobset you will directly get a list of all the VTS_xx_y.Vob files with the same xx and you have to press OK again.
4) Video/iDCT Algorithm/32-bit SSE MMX
5) Video/Fieldoperation/None
6) Video/Colorspace/Yuv 4:2:2
7) Audio/Tracknumber select the Audiotrack you want to use later on (please choose an AC3 encoded Track!)
8) Audio/Output Method/Demux (AC3,MPA,DTS)
9) for MQV choose Audio/48->44,1/anything except off
10) Press F5 to Preview Video (no sound will be playerd)
11) Write down the aspect ratio (16:9 or 4:3), the Frame Rate (for example 25 fps) the Video Type (Pal or NTSC) and the Frametype (for example Progressive)
If you have 'Video Type-NTSC or FILM or FILM 95%-99%' and the Frame Type Is Progressive Go to Video>Field Operations>Force Film

If you have 'Video Type-FILM' the'Frame Type-Interlaced
move the slider bar, if there isn't any lines
Go to Video>Field Operations>Force Film
12) Press Escape
13) Write down the film resolution (it's contained in the windowname of the DVD2avi Window) like 720x576
14) File/Save Project choose a Destionation and Filename (you need <1GB of free diskspace)
15) wait some minutes ;)

I assume you choose TEST as the filename.
Now you got two new files:
TEST.d2v
and something like "TEST AC3 T01 3_2ch 448kbps DELAY -280ms.ac3"
Remember the DELAY for later!

---------------------------------
B1) Creating a Avisynth Scriptfile using autocrop (only needed if you don't use B2)
0) you once have to install the autocrop plugin from here: http://www.videofringe.com/autocrop/
1) Open your favorite Editor (for example Notepad)
2) Put the following lines (between the ####################) in the new Editorfile:

################################################## ##########
# TEST.d2v is the prior created dvd2avi Projectfile
video = Mpeg2Source("test.d2v")
#
# "test AC3 T01 3_2ch 448Kbps DELAY -280ms.ac3" is to be changed to the filename
# of your ac3 file!
# The Amplify(8) boosts sound volume of the output for louder soundoutput on
# your clie
audio = DirectShowSource("test AC3 T01 3_2ch 448Kbps DELAY -280ms.ac3").Amplify(8)
#
# This muxes (on the fly) the video and the audio
AudioDub(video,audio)
#
# Enter the DELAY value contained in your ac3-files Filename here!
DelayAudio(-0.280)
#
# At this point you can crop the Black borders (or unwanted movieparts) from the
# movie.
autocrop(mode=0)
#
#Bicubicresize(X,Y)
################################################## ###########

3) Save the file as test.avs but leave it in notepad (to faster change the crop values later)
4) open windows mediaplayer and open the test.avs file with it - surprise, wmp treats the text-file as a normal avi file ;)
5) in wmp open the preferences page and check the size of your now cropped video
6) now we want to resize the video and keep the original aspect ratio, for this we need a little math.
XCROP = X-Resolution of your outocropped video
YCROP = Y-Resolution of your outocropped video
X = Final X-Resolution you want your video on the clie should have (for MQV this is 320!)
Y = Final Y-Resolution we need to calc

Y = X / XCROP * YCROP
Now please round your calced Y to an even number. (for example if you got Y=181.02857 round it to Y=182.
Now change the line
#Bicupicresize(X,Y)
at the end of your AVS file removing the # at the start and replacing X and Y with the numbers we just calculated.
7) save the avs and open it again with wmp to check that it still works but now got smaller, if it works you are done with Step B), please jump to C) directly.

B2) Creating a Avisynth Scriptfile using manual crop (only needed if you don't use B1)
1) Open your favorite Editor (for example Notepad)
2) Put the following lines (between the ####################) in the new Editorfile:

################################################## ##########
# TEST.d2v is the prior created dvd2avi Projectfile
#
# "test AC3 T01 3_2ch 448Kbps DELAY -280ms.ac3" is to be changed to the filename
# of your ac3 file!
# The Amplify(8) boosts sound volume of the output for louder soundoutput on
# your clie
audio = DirectShowSource("test AC3 T01 3_2ch 448Kbps DELAY -280ms.ac3").Amplify(8)
#
# This muxes (on the fly) the video and the audio
AudioDub(video,audio)
#
# Enter the DELAY value contained in your ac3-files Filename here!
DelayAudio(-0.280)
#
# At this point you can crop the Black borders (or unwanted movieparts) from the
# movie. As there is no previewwindow this is the stupid work task of this guide # ;(
# Use only numbers devideable by 4!
# crop(left, top, right, bottom) where right and bottom values are - (cause you
# go back into the imagesource)
# experiment with the values
crop(12,88,-8,-92)
# if you also want to resize the movie to something near 320x240
# pixels (that's what is the highest output resolution
# imageconverter supports), you can change the cropping line to
# something like
#
# crop(12,88,-8,-92).Bicubicresize(X,Y)
#
# with X being 320 most times and Y something <=240
# X and Y must be even numbers!
# If you want to keep the aspect ratio of your source film you need
# to do a bit of math to know the right value for Y. Most
# times you will end up around Y=190
# Formula needed to calc is, with DVD-Res = XDVD x YDVD and
# crop (X1,Y1,-X2,-Y2) and X=320 for the resize you get
# Y= (YDVD - Y1 - Y2) / (XDVD - X1 - X2) * X
# And again, round Y to an even number.
################################################## ###########

3) Save the file as test.avs but leave it in notepad (to faster change the crop values later)
4) open windows mediaplayer and open the test.avs file with it - surprise, wmp treats the text-file as a normal avi file ;)
5) If your cropping wasn't right, change the value, save the file again and repeat point 4) and 5) until you are satisfied
6) as your cropping now should be ok you can close your texteditor and are finished with part B)

----------------------------------------------------------
C) create a fake avi file (only needed for MQV conversion)
----------------------------------------------------------
As Imageconverter does not treat the .avs file as a video (like wmp does) we need VFAPI to create a fake .avi file for us.
1) start VFAPIConvEN
2) press "Add File" and select your test.avs (if vfapi does not accept .avs files please install this patch)
3) in the popupwindow select the filename for the created avi. As imageconverter stores this avi-filename lateron as your videoname of the mqv I suggest you now name it like you want to name your video ;) I will stick to TEST.AVI for this guide.
4) Press OK in the popupwindow
5) Press convert (this is quite fast and will need <1GB of space)
6) When Convert has finished it's job press QUIT

-----------------------------------------------------
D1) use Imageconverter to convert the TEST.AVI to MQV
-----------------------------------------------------
1) Start Imageconverter
2) Add your Test.avi to the list
3) This is quite Important!
If you use Imageconverter 1.0, use the tool provided in this forum to change IC settings for framerate to half of the framerate your original video (you wrote it down earlier) has.
--
If you use IC 1.1 the Imageconvertertool of the forum does not work. Start regedit and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Sony Corporation/Image Converter and change the framerate for NO_FRAMERATE (or the compressionmethod you want to use) to
sourceframerate*500 (in dezimal mode).
If for example your sourceframerate is 29.970 fps and you want to use the "normal" setting in IC1.1 start regedit and go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Sony Corporation/Image Converter", doubleclick on NO_FRAMERATE, in the popup window select DECIMAL and enter your calced value. In our example 14985.
If you want to use another quality profile than NORMAL in IC change the XX_FRAMERATE Value for the quality setting you want to use (LOW = LO_FRAMERATE, NORMAL = NO_FRAMERATE, HIGH= HI_FRAMERATE and HIGH-PLUS = SH_FRAMERATE).
4) Convert it like any other avi (except this time it will convert easily with audio as avisynth hands uncompressed video and uncompressed audio to imageconverter) with the compressionmethod you changed the framerate in step 3.
5) You are done, you got the best possible output MQV from your source DVD
6) TROUBLESHOOTING for audio out of sync:
Somehow it seems that imageconverter does not always handle framerates in other steps than 0.5fps right and audio gets out of sync (strangely enough the default setting for IC is 14.985 fps).
I got reports from some users about "out of sync audio - getting more and more out of sync the longer the video runs". ATM all reported problems were related to 23.976 fps NTSC source videos for which you normally should use 11988 fps setting for IC.
If your sourcevideo is NTSC with 23.976 fps please report in this thread if your audio goes out of sync with the 11988 setting and if it does please try 12000 setting instead and if that works, please post this too.
29.870 fps NTSC atm seems to work perfectly with the default setting of 14985 fps for IC.

------------------------------------------------------------------
D2) use Virtualdub to convert TEST.AVS to an mmplayer readable AVI
------------------------------------------------------------------
1) don't create the fake avi with vfapi, you just need the avs.
2) start virtualdub and open your TEST.AVS file.
3) in the video menu choose Full processing
4) in video/compression choose your compression algorithm (divx or xvid, xvid recommended) and before you press ok here press configure. Set the bitrate to something small - like you did before when converting video for mmplayer use. I suggest somewhere between 100 and 200 kbit and set the encode to 1-pass encoding only. Now press OKs until you are back to virtualdub main screen without popups.
5) you need a framerate of 15fps maximum, so if you don't have input material with a framerate <=15 and you didn't already use ChangeFPS in your TEST.AVS file you need to change the framerate with virtualdub. For this open Video/Framrate and for best results choose "Process every other frame (decimate by 2). This will reduce your actual framerate (also shown in this window) to half the value it had.
6) If you did not use crop and bicubicresize (and for mmplayer playable avis you need a much smaller resolution than 320x240, as mmplayer is not fast enough for this reslution. My overclocked (now running at 354 MHz) NX70 as max can handle something around 240x160 with low bitrate) in your avs you need to change the resolution in virtualdub.
!!! QUALITY WARNING: Do never ever resize inside the AVS and inside Virtual Dub, only resize once. And Always Crop (if you want to) before you resize! You may crop in the AVS and resize in Virtualdub or Crop and resize in AVS and NOT Crop and resize in Virtualdub or NOT crop and resize in AVS and crop AND resize in Virtualdub, that's the only good combinations!!!
And now, if you need to crop or resize in Virtualdub: Choose Video/Filters.
6a) For cropping press "Add..." and add "null transform" and press OK to close the "Add Filter" named 2nd popupwindow. Now you can press the now black "Cropping..." button and start cropping your video - this should be selfexplaining. After cropping go back to the Filters Popup window.
6b) For Resizing (you should do that after you cropped!) Press the Add... Button and choose the "resize" in the popup list and press the OK button. In "Filter: resize" popup choose a resolution you want to use (don't go to high and blame me that your video drops frames when you playback with mmplayer ;) ) and as "Filter mode" select "Precise Bilinear". If your source is interlaced, select the Interlaced button. Press OK 2 times to close the filters popups.
7) in the audio menu choose Full processing
8) in audio/compression choose your mp3 encoder and the compressionformat and samplingrate you want to take. Press OK after you made your choices.
!!!Warning: at least for me mmplayer with mca2.xx has a big performancehit when using other samplerates than 44,1 kHz or 48kHz for the mp3 audio.!!!!
9) If you want you now can even mark a passage you want to convert (below the video you find the needed tools for that). How to do that is surely nicely explained in the VirtualDub help.
10) All choices are made, now press "File/Save as Avi", choose a nice Filename for your avi and save it. This will take some time, so go, fetch some coffe ;)

If you are new to mmplayer I suggest you try some compressions and resolutions first to find out what the limits of your pda are at playback with mmplayer before you convert a large movie. Choose a small part of a video and create some testsamples with chaning resolution and bitrates and test them with mmplayer.
For me it's xvid codec at 100-200 kbit (depending on the quality I want) and atm (cause of the mca2.xx problems with 22khz audios) it's 96kbit audio at 44,1 or 48 kHz on my 354 MHz NX70.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Final notes:
I am sure this first version of the guide is not complete and will probably contain some points that will get me tons of questions ;) and every question is welcome and everyone is invited to contribute to this guide (that when finished will be published in the guides section).

Regards,
Egalus

pusfarm 04-06-2004 06:00 AM

It might work except for:

Script error: there is no function named "Mpeg2Source"

Egalus 04-06-2004 07:32 AM

@pusfarm
Ups, like always when you have installed programs for a long time you get plugins and forget to mention them in the guide.

Changed the guide accordingly. Please download http://www.avisynth.org/warpenterpr...ecodefix100.zip
and copy the included MPEG2Dec3dg.dll to your avisynth plugins directory.

Changed the guide accordingly.

madmaxmedia 04-06-2004 03:58 PM

Thanks a lot for posting the directions! I will try it out ASAP.

Do you think that having a middle step really decreases the final video quality that much? Perhaps in the best quality mode, but the other more compressed modes are so lossy that I doubt the final result is much different.

Thanks, Steve

Egalus 04-06-2004 04:28 PM

It absolutely depends on your middlestep conversion how much quality you will loose.

Middlesteps:
MPEG1: Depending on what bitrate you choose for your compression (I read some guides suggestin <1mb/s, that's just stupid) you will get nasty mpeg one artefacts when playing the mpeg1. And now you get 2 nasty situations for the quicktime mpeg4 codec (that's what imageconverter uses). a) it has to encode those artefacts too, cause it thinks that those artefacts are wanted and b) still has to convert all the other imagedata and this with the given bitrate, so it encodes the artefacts and cause of that has less bitrate left for the wanted imageinformation.

Divx: Here it totally depends on your divx settings. As divx itself is a good codec if you choose max bitrate and high quality settings for middlestep conversion here your losses are almost invisible, but if you choose <1000kbit/s (especially if you don't resize to 320x240 here already) you get nasty jpeg artefacts too with the same effect they have at mpeg1.

So quite sure (at least using all the guides I read here - and where I always stated that you should take highest bitrate conversion in middlestep if there is no other way) you will loose imagequality with middlestep conversions.
And if you choose high bitrates for middlestep conversion you loose time and space compared to the above version

pusfarm 04-08-2004 10:29 PM

Still get the same error.

Egalus 04-09-2004 02:18 AM

I just uninstalled my avisynth to check this and reinstalled it like explained above and I don't get the errormessage you mention. It works like a charm like before.
Are you sure you copied the mpeg2dec3dg.dll to the right directory as I only get the errormessage if the dll is not in the avisynth plugins directory.
Please again search for the destination you installed avisynth to, switch into that directory and there into plugins and check again if the file is there.

Alternatively add following line to the start of your avs file:
######
LoadPlugin("E:\Programme\Avisynth 2.5\plugins\mpeg2dec3dg.dll")
######
Where mpeg2dec3dg.dll has to be at the entered path!
If mpeg2dec3.dll is not found at this position your errormessage should change. If it is found your "unknown MPEG2Source" should vanish.

snoW 04-09-2004 06:01 PM

I followed your tutorial and I got my "test.avi" (out of a 20 min DVD video). It's size is 8,8MB.

But it doesn't contain sound when played by WMP! Is that normal?

Also, Image Converter (1.1) needs approximately hours to convert this <9MB file to the .mqv-file!!!! The source frame rate was 20fps, so I edited in regedit the value to "10000" in decimal view.

Another problem are the stripes in the movie. I think they are because of "interlaced"!?!? How can I avoid this?

When I want to go the way for mmplayer:
How can I reduce the size of the .avi-file which VirtualDub produces? A DivX file shouldn't have hundreds of MB when my other .avi has not even 9MB! ;)

Egalus 04-10-2004 03:59 AM

>I followed your tutorial and I got my "test.avi" (out of a 20 min DVD video). It's size is 8,8MB.
But it doesn't contain sound when played by WMP! Is that normal?

Do you have an ac3 file and a d2v file after using dvd2avi?
Can you play the ac3 file with wmp?
Does your DVD contain an ac3 stream? Or maybe only DTS?
If you have the ac3 but can't play it you need an ac3 codec for directshow (see requiements part c) if you don't know where to get one from).
For 20 minutes of Video 8,8mb sounds like video information only as the resulting vfapi-created avi contains only information where to get the video stream from and the uncompressed audio, so most of the vfapi-created avi size is from the uncompressed audio and the video part.

--------------

>Also, Image Converter (1.1) needs approximately hours to convert this <9MB file to the .mqv-file!!!! The source frame rate was 20fps, so I edited in regedit the value to "10000" in decimal view.

Do you have a ripped dvd on hdd or do you try to get the data directly from a dvd?
Cause like mentioned before, the avi does not contain the video information and imageconverter will take it directly from your sourcefiles you used with dvd2avi and if that is a dvd-drive maybe you have some performance problems with the dvd drive being accessed to often.
Did you use crop and bicubicresize in your .avs, or does imageconverter itself make the conversion?
And the last possibility that comes to mind is the problem of your stripes cause of your interlaced video, I guess ic has a hard time converting this ;)

--------------

>Another problem are the stripes in the movie. I think they are because of "interlaced"!?!? How can I avoid this?

Check if you made the right choice in point A) 11).
If that does not solve your problem than I can only try to give you advice cause I never came across an interlaced DVD with stripes in germany, so I can't really check this, but I can try to give advice (as soon as www.avisynth.org is up again, cause I need the manual there to find the right commands for framereatechanging and deinterlacing ;)

-------------

>When I want to go the way for mmplayer:
How can I reduce the size of the .avi-file which VirtualDub produces? A DivX file shouldn't have hundreds of MB when my other .avi has not even 9M !

I will start to write the tut-part to mmplayer soon, maybe even today.
And now I only wanted to write a short notice for you for your problem, which lead to a detail level that suited the tutorial, so now look above at the tut ;)

snoW 04-10-2004 05:18 AM

Wow, thanks for your large reply!

> Do you have an ac3 file and a d2v file after using dvd2avi?
Yes.

> Can you play the ac3 file with wmp?
Yes, WMP plays the sound.

> Does your DVD contain an ac3 stream? Or maybe only DTS?
The DVD's audio technical details: "Dolby, Surround Sound"

--------------

> Do you have a ripped dvd on hdd or do you try to get the data directly from a dvd?
I get it from HDD.

Did you use crop and bicubicresize in your .avs, or does imageconverter itself make the conversion?
The .avs contains:
audio = DirectShowSource("test AC3 T01 2_0ch 192Kbps DELAY -80ms.ac3").Amplify(8)
AudioDub(video,audio)
crop(12,88,-8,-92).Bicubicresize(320,240)

--------------

> Check if you made the right choice in point A) 11).
DVD2Avi said that the film itself (not the intro) is interlaced. So I chose "Forced Film"

-------------

>And now I only wanted to write a short notice for you for your problem, which lead to a detail level that suited the tutorial, so now look above at the tut ;)
Thank you for spending your time here!!!!

Egalus 04-10-2004 08:32 AM

>Wow, thanks for your large reply!

;) No problem, I started the guide and I do not do such things without answering questions that come up while others try to follow my directions.

And now let's try to find out why vfapi does not create soundoutput for you, oi, wait, there comes one option in mind and I feal really stupid not to have asked this before ;)
When adding the avs to vfapiconv you get a window, where you can choose the output filename AND you can click max. 3 options and this brings up 2 questions:
a) do you have a grayed out option "Audio output"?
b) if not a), is audio output checked? Cause if the option is there but not checked we found our solution ;)

And another question not related to vfapi:
Does the sound play if you open the .AVS directly with wmp?
If it does not, please remove the .Amplify(8) from the audio line and test again.

-----------------

The .avs contains:
audio = DirectShowSource("test AC3 T01 2_0ch 192Kbps DELAY -80ms.ac3").Amplify(8)
AudioDub(video,audio)
crop(12,88,-8,-92).Bicubicresize(320,240)

What is the source video resolution? Cause I guess your long conversion time is related to your resize.
Explanation for my guess (a bit longer):
Bicubicresize trys to get you best imagequality (and I chose this cause I made this guide to give you and me best output quality) and this can make the resizing really timeconsuming.
And the best way to get it to consume time is to resize x by another value than you resize y.
And another downsize of different deltaX and deltaY is that you change aspect ratio (most times you make heads larger, so everybody seems to have a weight problem and needs food donations ;) - no idea what the right english word might be ;) ).
Cause of that I inserted the formula with which you can calculate your Y for your resize to stay with the same aspect ratio.
As an example, let's say your uncropped source video has a resolution of 720x576 pixels, than your calc Y with
# Y= (YDVD - Y1 - Y2) / (XDVD - X1 - X2) * X
which makes
Y = (576 - 88 - 92) / (720 - 12 - 8) * 320
= 396 / 700 * 320 = 181.03
Now you need even X and Y values for resize, so either you round to 180 or 182, you choice ;) I usually round that upwards.

Calculating the other way around, assuming your source video hat an X-Resolution of 720, with your cropping and resizing your source Y-Resolution would have been 705 pixels, so you would have had a source video which would have been almost a square (but with big black borders).

So for your speed issues either try to calc a nice Y-Res and try the Bicubicresize and check if conversion time reduces drastically or just crop and let imageconverter do the resizing and check how long this would take (with the downside of not knowing what resizing algorithm ic might use).

--------------

> Check if you made the right choice in point A) 11).
DVD2Avi said that the film itself (not the intro) is interlaced. So I chose "Forced Film"

Ok, than you need to try 2 or 3 things (I can't test them cause I do not have an interlaced DVD with your mentioned stripes).
A) Try to change fps within your .AVS file and redue it by factor 2, this normally should make avisynth to take only every 2nd frame. Instructions on ChangeFPS can be found here: http://www.avisynth.org/index.php?page=FPS
B) Read the Deinterlacing FAQ of Avisynth, it contains some possible ways to decomb and deinterlace: http://www.avisynth.org/index.php?page=DeInterlacing

Sorry that I can't personally help you here, but I am thankful to PAL standard and that almost all DVDs in germany don't have combing if they are interlaced ;)

-------------

>And now I only wanted to write a short notice for you for your problem, which lead to a detail level that suited the tutorial, so now look above at the tut
Thank you for spending your time here!!!!

Like said above, I didn't write a "once written, never come back and answer questions" guide ;)

pusfarm 04-11-2004 07:20 AM

Getting closer :) but still no video (I've always been able to get audio).&nbsp; My earlier problem may have been due to using AviSynth version 2.0.x. :eek:

The new message is:

DirectShowSource: Could not open as video or audio.
Video returned: "DirectShowSournce: the filter graph manager won't talk to me"
Audio returned: "DirectShowSournce: the filter graph manager won't talk to me"

Thanks for the continued help Egalus!

snoW 04-11-2004 07:22 AM

> When adding the avs to vfapiconv you get a window, where you can choose the output filename AND you can click max. 3 options and this brings up 2 questions:
a) do you have a grayed out option "Audio output"?
Yes, the "audio output" option is grayed out.

> And another question not related to vfapi:
Does the sound play if you open the .AVS directly with wmp?
If it does not, please remove the .Amplify(8) from the audio line and test again.
WMP plays sound when opening the .avs.

-----------------

> What is the source video resolution? Cause I guess your long conversion time is related to your resize.
The source video resolution is 720x576.

--------------

Ok, than you need to try 2 or 3 things (I can't test them cause I do not have an interlaced DVD with your mentioned stripes).
> A) Try to change fps within your .AVS file and redue it by factor 2, this normally should make avisynth to take only every 2nd frame. Instructions on ChangeFPS can be found here: http://www.avisynth.org/index.php?page=FPS
I inserted the following line into the .avs (source frame rate was 20):
ChangeFPS(10)

> B) Read the Deinterlacing FAQ of Avisynth, it contains some possible ways to decomb and deinterlace: http://www.avisynth.org/index.php?page=DeInterlacing
Ok, but I don't understand everything ;)

> Sorry that I can't personally help you here, but I am thankful to PAL standard and that almost all DVDs in germany don't have combing if they are interlaced ;)
No problem ;) I'm from Germany, too, but I have a DVD from the USA.... :/

/edit: I tried the procedure with 10 fps but the stripes are still there! Even worse: the video is blurred! So I deleted the "changeFPS" line.

BTW: How long does it take when YOU convert a movie with IC (LP mode; middle-bad quality of source file)? I need ca. 1,2 sec. for converting one second movie...

pusfarm 04-11-2004 07:23 AM

Egalus - could you clarify the registry edit for IC 1.1?&nbsp; Do we change the existing value (mine is 3a89 Hex and 14985 Decimal) or do we add a new key or string value?&nbsp; Thanks.

snoW 04-11-2004 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by pusfarm
Getting closer :) but still no video (I've always been able to get audio).&nbsp; My earlier problem may have been due to using AviSynth version 2.0.x. :eek:

The new message is:

DirectShowSource: Could not open as video or audio.
Video returned: "DirectShowSournce: the filter graph manager won't talk to me"
Audio returned: "DirectShowSournce: the filter graph manager won't talk to me"

Thanks for the continued help Egalus!

I had the same problem!
It disappeared after the installation of the AC3 filter:
http://ac3filter.sourceforge.net