1src Forums

1src Forums (http://www.1src.com/forums/index.php)
-   Older Clie (http://www.1src.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Another Low Blow For The Nz! (http://www.1src.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1972)

MAJI 01-28-2003 07:41 PM

Another Low Blow For The Nz!

As I mentioned before that my wife is a rep for Hp/Compaq and she deals with Best Buy atleast 2-3 times a week. She spoke with the Regional Manager for Best Buy and He said that Best Buy will NOT carry the NZ 90! Wow! I asked a friend of mine who works for Best Buy and he said that the NZ was too expensive for their buyers. Man, this will hurt the sales of the NZ! You pretty much can say that Curcuit City will follow suit, since Besy Buy is their biggest competition. If you don't believe me, go to your nearest Best Buy and you'll see. I hope it isn't true, I love Best Buy's service plan.

MAJI NX

deadlyfoez 01-28-2003 08:24 PM

It's very true.

MAJI 01-28-2003 08:26 PM

Man, that's disappointing!

LITTLESIX 01-28-2003 08:40 PM

Re: Another Low Blow For The Nz!

Quote:
Originally posted by MAJI
You pretty much can say that Curcuit City will follow suit, since Besy Buy is their biggest competition. If you don't believe me, go to your nearest Best Buy and you'll see. I hope it isn't true, I love Best Buy's service plan.
MAJI NX

I can't say that I see CC NOT carrying the NZ, especially if BBY decides that they won't. After all, carrying it will give them that much more traffic. It might be expensive to some people, but not everybody. CC will love go get the traffic I'm sure.

Besides, what's to say that BBY won't carry it on their website? They put alot on their that they usually don't carry in the stores. I'm having a hard time comprehending that they wouldn't carry it entirely.

davy19 01-28-2003 08:41 PM

I agree with Littlesix...they have other hardware that costs more then $1000..it all depneds....but since they ahve carried their other lines I dont see why they wotn maybe only online.

phattie 01-28-2003 08:46 PM

I can't see this as being a big deal...especially in today's retail environment with online retailers and such. If you've never heard of an nz90 up until now what are the chances that you're going to pick one up on your next trip to BB, CC, etc..

LITTLESIX 01-28-2003 09:07 PM

Bingo - if you're buying one it's because you know it's out there and you want it. The chances of it being an impulse purchase are slim to none. I have a hard time believing that a retailer would negate a total buyers segment with that basis. In this economy? They're scarfing up every possible buyer they can. Realistically, I CAN see them buying damn few of them at the onset and then judging future purchases based on how the initial shipments move.

The negative responses on here are hardly an indicator of prospective buyers; the demographics on here are totally skewed.

oneeyesquare 01-28-2003 09:18 PM

The wow factor when it's setting on the shelf, I think, will cause more impulse buys.
I can't believe that the big electronics retailers won't carry this, esp. Circuit City. Best Buy, with there screwed to the counter PDA display, I find more believable, but still seems silly on their part.... I hate shopping there anyway. The criminal bag check on your way out annoys me to no end.
I hope someone stocks it on the shelve. I wanna play with it before I buy it!!!!

Unregistered 01-28-2003 09:26 PM

There's always Comp USA if you have one in your town.

mashoutposse 01-28-2003 09:36 PM

Something tells me that I will be able to buy an NZ90 at Best Buy sometime in February.

Most retailers buy on credit, so I don't see a single reason for them not to stock the NZ. "Too expensive?"

jedix 01-28-2003 09:44 PM

Re: Another Low Blow For The Nz!

Quote:
Originally posted by MAJI
As I mentioned before that my wife is a rep for Hp/Compaq and she deals with Best Buy atleast 2-3 times a week. She spoke with the Regional Manager for Best Buy and He said that Best Buy will NOT carry the NZ 90! Wow! I asked a friend of mine who works for Best Buy and he said that the NZ was too expensive for their buyers. Man, this will hurt the sales of the NZ! You pretty much can say that Curcuit City will follow suit, since Besy Buy is their biggest competition. If you don't believe me, go to your nearest Best Buy and you'll see. I hope it isn't true, I love Best Buy's service plan.

MAJI NX

Your story is very believable and I have no reason to doubt you or think that you are lying, but being too expensive for their buyers seems too simple of an answer. Granted, that is a summarization of their reason, I still don't buy it (so to speak :p ).
There must be a market for it, or else I am sure Sony wouldn't make it. And out of any national chain, Best Buy is the most likely to reach that segment of the market.

I am not upset at you or think that you are telling tales. I just think, at some point, Best Buy will carry it. I think they would carry this over some other expensive items, such as large plasma TVs. But I guess that there is a large enough market for them, too. Great items, but I'm sure they don't sell too many that often.

LITTLESIX 01-28-2003 09:52 PM

True - they carry televisions that cost 7 grand and you don't see them flying out of the store. Yet - they still carry them.

ehartung 01-28-2003 10:00 PM

YES THEY WILL

Yes they will, my local BestBuy store (In Framingham/MA.. give a call to check it for yourselves) is not getting any shipment of the NX70 anymore. Guess why ?? "There's a new clie coming out late next month" said the eletronics manager at my store. I gave him all the details and I gave him this page so he can take a "look" at the NZ90.

But maybe he was referring to the Sj33 (he doesn't know anything about it). But that's not likely, because it wasn't "oficially" released here in the U.S.

Well that's all.

CeasarMA 01-28-2003 10:32 PM

Does it matter?

If you are getting an NZ you are getting a BMW/Mercedes type of item. Doesn't make you an upper class person, but it definitely puts you in a smaller class of people that would purchase something like that. Whoever posted the PC world/magazine article could see that it is considered a technological wonder, but we realize not everybody wants one. Sort of like the Beemer. The NZ will never be the #1 selling Clie line, not because it isn't technologically superior, it's too expensive. That is why the Palm Zire has done so well. Like a car, do you want something that gets you from point A to B, do you want a street performance vehicle, SUV or a pick-up?

I wouldn't be surprised either way if the NZ is on display. Correct me if I am wrong, but alot of the electronic stores are very choosy with high-end (HE) gear. The BBs and CCs are car showrooms. They show what they think they think they can sell or pay on the inventory they can't move and they are stuck with. I have noticed that they rarely carry HE gear. For all of you techies, do they carry the best stereo equipment, digital still and video cameras, or computers? I am sure you would agree that they don't. Also, have any of you ever sat and listened to customers in those stores ask about pdas? I know all of you have played "stump the punk" with the employees because all of us sit in here and argue the minutiae of every detail of the clie. The regular customer goes to BB and CC and argues and whines because he should have waited for the newest model HP 5455 or whatever, for the built in bluetooth and then 20 minutes later is asking what is bluetooth? The classic is the "what is the laser beam" uh you mean IR beam sir, this isn't Star Wars it won'tburn your retinas out. Better yet, if the world was so informed this place would be overloaded with members. Maybe that is something good?

Either way, if it isn't in the store it will be on-line. Heck, I am getting mine from Amazon.

ceasar

rob_squared 01-29-2003 12:32 AM

ehartung, that's pretty cool. I live in Natick, which will give me a chance to see the things in real life.