1src Forums

1src Forums (http://www.1src.com/forums/index.php)
-   AlphaSmart (http://www.1src.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   New AlphaSmart Dana Wireless (http://www.1src.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125197)

Creideiki 03-30-2007 04:16 PM

New AlphaSmart Dana Wireless
 
I just recieved a Dana Wireless. The battery is about shot, but at $15, it's easy to replace.

I'm wondering:

1. What apps take advantage of the full screen display?

2. Are there any good user groups or forums for me to ask questions in?

3. Can it wirelessly hotsynch?

4. What are the primary ways people use this device?

I intend to use this almost exculsively for word processing - taking notes, working on docs away from the computer, etc. I think I'll stick to my TX for datebook/calendar/to do/etc.

TIA!

<C>

Tam Hanna 04-02-2007 07:05 AM

Hi,
where did you get the Dana from?

As for apps, I think that QuickOffice has dana support. As for the other main office suites, I think that their recent versions wont work on non-OS5 boxen, so ...

Creideiki 04-03-2007 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam Hanna
Hi,
where did you get the Dana from?

As for apps, I think that QuickOffice has dana support. As for the other main office suites, I think that their recent versions wont work on non-OS5 boxen, so ...


I recieved it as a gift. :-)

Did ANY previous version of Docs to Go work full screen on a Dana?

Thanks!

<C>

Tam Hanna 04-04-2007 01:26 PM

Hi,
I never ever had a Dana...so no idea. Why not contact their support department?

I am pretty sure that QuickOffice worked in Widescreen though...contact the support departments of the companies for help...

bobbyshane 03-03-2009 10:37 AM

I know this is a way late answer but...
 
Docs to Go 6 works on the dana

Creideiki 03-03-2009 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyshane
Docs to Go 6 works on the dana


Yep. I just (yesterday, as a matter of fact) discovered this. Unfortunately, my download version of 6.08 is, well, so old that I can't find the installer. I should have bought it on CD, since DataViz now wants to charge me to re-download it!

Thanks anyway!

<C>

bobbyshane 03-03-2009 02:14 PM

Have you tried contacting Alphasmart? Docs to Go was supposed to come with the Dana. I bought mine off of ebay and it didn't come with it initially either. I've been thinking about contacting them myself to see if I could get a replacement cd.

Creideiki 03-03-2009 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyshane
Have you tried contacting Alphasmart?


Hadn't occurred to me. Even so, I'd like to have the Premiere version (the Dana only came with the standard version) for the Spell Check.

I was using Quick Office, which also shows wide screen on the Dana, but found that any time I typed fast it would miss letters left and right.

Thanks!

<C>

Hook 03-03-2009 07:50 PM

The Docstogo 6 for Dana was like the bonus disks from Palm. If you don't have the disk, you can't download. However, all system downloads and updates are available at Alphasmart.

There is a great and very active forum of Alphasmart users over on Flickr (I know, kind of weird) which is a great resource. You'll find it HERE :)

By the way, Wordsmith works widescreen on a Dana.

Hook 03-03-2009 08:03 PM

By the way, though annoying, you only pay $2.99 to redownload Docstogo. That price allows 10 downloads in the next 12 months.

MD_Brite 03-03-2009 10:24 PM

Same exact thing happened to me recently, not very nice especially when you had to pay $40 for it in the first place, and $2.99 a year.

bobbyshane 03-04-2009 12:42 PM

Here's a question for you guys... I own version 10. Do I have to pay to download 6 to put it on my dana? My guess would be yes.

Hook 03-04-2009 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyshane
Here's a question for you guys... I own version 10. Do I have to pay to download 6 to put it on my dana? My guess would be yes.


Yes. Version 10 won't work on Palm OS 4.

Honestly, however, there really isn't much reason to have DTG on a Dana. Wordsmith or even it's own simple word processor, Alphaword (which is actually a version of Wordsmith) is quite adequate. Sure, you could do Excel, but unless you are without a compuer or PDA, why would you. While the Dana is as portable as a Netbook, it does one thing really well. It is the best draft writer (leave the editor out in the dark) on the planet. ;)

Creideiki 03-05-2009 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook
The Docstogo 6 for Dana was like the bonus disks from Palm. If you don't have the disk, you can't download. However, all system downloads and updates are available at Alphasmart.

There is a great and very active forum of Alphasmart users over on Flickr (I know, kind of weird) which is a great resource. You'll find it HERE :)

By the way, Wordsmith works widescreen on a Dana.


Are you Hookmt on the Flickr Group? What a great group!

The bundled version of DTG has that annoying search for files every time it opens. Ugh. I do need the spreadsheet ability. Also, I'm not able to add files to my AlphaWord. Not sure why, but it says files are not compatible when I try to add them. Spent 2 weeks going back and forth with their support, and finally just gave up.

I've heard the running both WordSmith and AlphaWord can cause problems, so that makes me nervous.

I did find a copy of 6.008 Premium on an old backup CD. I'm glad I keep backups!

<C>

Hook 03-05-2009 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creideiki
Are you Hookmt on the Flickr Group? What a great group!

The bundled version of DTG has that annoying search for files every time it opens. Ugh. I do need the spreadsheet ability. Also, I'm not able to add files to my AlphaWord. Not sure why, but it says files are not compatible when I try to add them. Spent 2 weeks going back and forth with their support, and finally just gave up.

I've heard the running both WordSmith and AlphaWord can cause problems, so that makes me nervous.

I did find a copy of 6.008 Premium on an old backup CD. I'm glad I keep backups!

<C>


Yup, I'm Hookmt.

I use alphaword, not Wordsmith simply because Wordsmith (which replaces Alphaword) does not leave the USB send feature available, and I really like that. Alphaword has its own conduits, for which you need the Alphasmart version of Palm Desktop (downloadable from their downloads page) to use. I sync my TX to this desktop as well. Like Wordsmith, these conduits convert Alphaword pdb files to rtf on the desktop and back. Alphaword can only use PDB files, it desn't do any native formats.

You don't have to go that route, there is a converter utility that is in the Wordsmith Yahoo Group files called wsconv.exe that does the same thing on your desktop and then you can use Pruss' MyInstall to install them.

I tend to use my Dana for draft (creative) writing and mostly go one way. I write on the Dana, then do a USB Send of the draft text into Word 2007 on my computer, where I use word for major editing (two pages on the screen at once) and formatting.

They are a very helful group over there on Flikr and quite willing to share their very different approaches with new folks. :)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:04 AM.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.