1src Forums

1src Forums (http://www.1src.com/forums/index.php)
-   Clie TJ-series (http://www.1src.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   TJ37 and PEGA-SPC100K (http://www.1src.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118859)

daftcat 10-27-2006 02:06 AM

TJ37 and PEGA-SPC100K

Since I searched and searched looking for whether spc100k and tj37 would work and couldn't find anything conclusive, I thought I'd post my experience to help the next person out.

I finally took a chance and bought one off ebay for $70 plus shipping. AC adapter included, usb cable not included. I had one so it wasn't a big deal. First thing I noticed was that the cradle was a tad too narrow and shallow for the TJ37. Perhaps a dremel could have fixed this but I went straight for the jugular. Wedging a screwdriver underneath the white plastic that lined the pda receptacle which has all the pretty sony and clie logos on it, I was able, with some force to pry this piece of plastic right off. Upon closer inspection, there are three posts on the top of this piece that connect into the cradle. I'm not sure how they connect, but I freed one and broke the other two posts. So oh well, the cradle is no longer in new condition and it did take a little minor scuffing as a result of wedging the screwdriver in.

Did it work? Yes and no. Without that piece of plastic, the connector is somewhat free to move about but it sinks back into the cradle nicely when the pda sits atop it. It's not a snug connection, but the tj37 does fit nicely into the cradle now. As my chem teacher used to say, "Close enough for government work." It charges and the hotsync button works. But the audio does not work through the sony connector. It does however work through the headphone jack into the audio input. This is about what I was expecting if I were to buy any other mp3 player speaker system since my clie does not have the ipod connector they all want these days. However, none of these other speaker systems can charge and hotsync my clie.

So yes, with a little brute force and using audio input cable instead of the clie connector, you can get the TJ37 and SPC100K working together for the audio portion. It sounds pretty good too. The charging and hot sync functions work through the cradle no problem.

I hope this helps the next person out who is trying to figure out if the TJ series and the SPC100K will work.

Cheers!
M

foromerm 10-27-2006 12:25 PM

is the spkr cradle loud like in comparision to other devices

daftcat 10-27-2006 12:58 PM

It's loud enough to fill a room but I'm quite certain one of those mp3 sound systems like a Bose has better output. For me, it fills a need. I have mp3's to listen to before sleep and when I wake in the morning, and it is plenty loud to wake me up. The fact that it also charges my clie is a big selling point for me.

If you only want the audio output, you can buy better for the money.

foromerm 10-27-2006 01:02 PM

yeah, but do you turn it on the loudest or is more comfortable to have it lower also whats it watts output

daftcat 10-27-2006 01:12 PM

There are no volume controls on the cradle itself. The output volume is just an amplification factor over what the headphone jack outputs. For particulars like wattage, I would search sony or google for the spec sheet. I'm not that serious about my audio as long as it is loud enough and clear enough for me, I'm happy.

Like I said before, if the audio part is really important to you, you may want to consider another product.

foromerm 10-27-2006 01:18 PM

thanks for the info