PDA

View Full Version : help!

nausicaa
03-27-2005, 09:01 AM
i have to reformat both my computer and my ux50 to get rid of bugs & assorted annoying problems (but this is very scary!!!).

-- > how or where should i back up my palm desktop data?

should i switch my syncing to outlook (instead of palm desktop) then back up outlook onto a CD then reformat my computer and somehow import back to palm desktop from outlook 2003?

any recommendations or suggestions would be appreciated.

arg, ack, angst... :(

antoinepierre
03-27-2005, 11:41 AM
No need to switch to outlook.

Why don't you just make a backup on a MS ?
Reformat your PC and hard reset your UX, if you need it.
Intall again palmdesktop.
restore, on your UX, the files you want.
Hotsync your UX.

This should be enough.

Next time install "uninstall manager" before testing any application.

cktlcmd
03-27-2005, 12:58 PM
You might find this thread useful too:

http://www.1src.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79187

bdhu2001
03-27-2005, 01:41 PM
cktlcmd
Christian, when you restore back up from Backup man does it restore your Netfront 3.1 or do you reinstall? I have VFS backup and it states it isn't backing up a number of files. Prior to purchasing it, I have a number of other applications that have a tool to backup, but they didn't back up Netfront 3.1.

djl
03-27-2005, 02:15 PM
BackupMan does not backup, and cannot restore, Netfront. However, the UX50's built-in backup feature can backup and restore everything. (This is not helpful to the original poster. It's usually pointless to restore _everything_ after a hard reset, because that will typically recreate problem which required the reset. It's too bad that the built-in backup is all or nothing.)

dennis

golalmo
03-27-2005, 02:34 PM
BackupMan does not backup, and cannot restore, Netfront. However, the UX50's built-in backup feature can backup and restore everything. (This is not helpful to the original poster. It's usually pointless to restore _everything_ after a hard reset, because that will typically recreate problem which required the reset. It's too bad that the built-in backup is all or nothing.)

dennis
internal backup is great. i always backup before loading new apps to my device, and if something wrong, i can go back.
i also making backup once a day, or after inserting importent recordes.
internal back is much faster the back up to ms.
i do carry backup of my importent databses both on ms and my pc.

bdhu2001
03-27-2005, 04:03 PM
My problem w/ the internal backup, is you can only have one back up. Unlike the previous MSbackup where you could backup everything when you knew it worked and then additional backup along the way. As you said now you'd recreate your problem, or don't backup as you make edits. What have you found as the best compromise?

cktlcmd
03-27-2005, 05:21 PM
cktlcmd
Christian, when you restore back up from Backup man does it restore your Netfront 3.1 or do you reinstall? I have VFS backup and it states it isn't backing up a number of files. Prior to purchasing it, I have a number of other applications that have a tool to backup, but they didn't back up Netfront 3.1.

The internal backup is great in the sense that it makes a complete backup of whatever files you have on the "main memory", even NF 3.1. So basically you only have to do it once before you perform a hard reset. After a hard reset, you can always go back to your previous state because the UX will ask you if you want to restore from your latest or current backup. This is also a serious flaw because if your current state is unstable and you performed an internal backup, you are basically restoring the corrupted files. This is where BackupMan excell, because with BackupMan you have the ability to perform automatic backups, manual backups, control how many backups you want, and most importantly: it has an option for you to select which application you only want to restore if you want to do a tedious restore to find out what is causing the conflict.

Just like Golalmo stated above, the best solution if you are trying a new application is to always perform an internal backup first before installing anything new in your UX. This way it saves you time and effort. All you have to do if you don't want the newly installed file is perform a hard reset then select that you want to restore your latest backup.

I always make sure I do an internal backup every time I did input something important on my UX. This way, if something goes wrong I'll have a copy on my UX. BackupMan saves a copy on my memory stick, an added security just in case I need to send my UX for repairs (just like now).

If you are really paranoid, you can perform a backup using BackupMan to your MSPRO then make a copy of the MSPRO backup in your PC. But too much work in my opinion. :)

nausicaa
03-27-2005, 07:41 PM
Thanks for the awesome advice you guys! esp the thread link!!! I had searched "reformat" and got a whole bunch of threads but couldn't find what I needed.
I guess I should :
- backup using BackupMan?
- reformat my ux first (delete backup folder on computer) then
- sync my PIM data , then
- backup to internal media then
- reformat my computer (ick)
- then reinstall necessary extra programs.

antoinepierre
03-28-2005, 08:27 AM
Thanks for the awesome advice you guys! esp the thread link!!! I had searched "reformat" and got a whole bunch of threads but couldn't find what I needed.
I guess I should :
- backup using BackupMan?
- reformat my ux first (delete backup folder on computer) then
- sync my PIM data , then
- backup to internal media then
- reformat my computer (ick)
- then reinstall necessary extra programs.Why do you want to delete and sync some files on your computer if you reformat it after ?