PDA

View Full Version : Sony Japan to end Clie production

Joel
02-22-2005, 01:07 AM
From Impress Watch: Sony will stop producing the Clie after July 2005. They will continue to provide parts and repair services until six years after the last production. Clie support desk will stop service after 1 year and support and repair will continue to be provided by the Vaio Customer Support Center after that. [details (http://www.1src.com/?m=show&id=852)]

Kran
02-22-2005, 01:12 AM
Damn. It was fun while it lasted. ;_;

Cyker
02-22-2005, 01:17 AM
:eek:

KAAAAHHHHHNNN!

Joel
02-22-2005, 01:18 AM

KAAAAHHHHHNNN!

You made my day. I was sad about the news and actually laughed after reading your post. Thanks Cyker!

mrSONYman
02-22-2005, 01:34 AM
And here I foolishly thought there was a shred of hope that SONY was going to release a new unit and POSSABLY bring it back to the rest of the world on the new Cobalt 5 OS but now all my dreams are shattered. How could they do this to us? Palm sucks and no one has even come close to producing a unit that will compete with any CLIE!
Thank GOD I still have my NX80, UX50 and TH55 in MINT condition and working perfectly with enough accessories to make me happy for years to come, I hope! You said they still have service right? :confused:

winexprt
02-22-2005, 01:50 AM
Everyone...the party...is officially, OVER. :(

Last one out the door please turn off the lights.........

winexprt
02-22-2005, 02:01 AM
From Impress Watch: Sony will stop producing the Clie after July 2005. They will continue to provide parts and repair services until six years after the last production. Clie support desk will stop service after 1 year and support and repair will continue to be provided by the Vaio Customer Support Center after that. [details (http://www.1src.com/?m=show&id=852)]

After re-reading this, Technically...this info still doesn't preclude Sony from releasing a device pre-July, THEN stopping production. Doesn't make any mention that between now & July, Sony WON'T release something. There is a snowball's chance in Hell of this happening though...believe me I realize that.

I know, I know...I'm GRASPING, and it's quite a stretch...but what's a Clie-lover to do????
;) :D

SIX YEARS AFTER! Wow! That's one hellava Looong time after the last model rolls of the line. To put just how LONG a time that is in perspective, who here is still using a PDA from SIX YEARS ago!?? Not many, if any...I suspect. That's such an oddly long time to me.

tk_421
02-22-2005, 02:01 AM
Guys,

Clie could mean the end of a palm os based Sony PDA, but there is still a chance that the rumors of a non Palm os sony PDA will be released in the near future. It could just be part of the VAIO line up, and maybe run windows mobile?

Let's face it: palm is going down, so Sony had to close shop. But they did say that they will continue working on "entertainment and information handheld devices". Somehow I doubt that this means "PSP", as this is a game system! I am betting that we will see a windows mobile Sony VAIO in the near future. Windows Mobile magneto (2005) will be out in July. Perhaps Sony will surprise us.

If they don't, then what will I buy instead? A Toshiba PPC? They have fantastic screens, but are so far from the near perfection of a UX. (Okay, the UX has a small screen... but it is such a nice design!)

Anyway, my bet is that the CLIE will be resurrected as part of the VAIO line-up before 2006. This is just to make the palm os be forgotten. This doesn't mean the end of Sony PDAs.

JAmerican
02-22-2005, 02:20 AM
Also remember, the VAIOs are getting smaller so they are basically merging into the CLIE market. When you think of CLIÉ, you think Palm OS. When you think VAIO, you think laptop as well as Windows. So, I think that if Sony's new line of CLIÉs are VAIOs, they will most definately have Windows Mobile 2005. Thats only if VAIOs were something else before Windows.

JAmerican

cesarcardoso
02-22-2005, 06:33 AM
What a horrible way to start the day... :( :( :(

Anyway, as a PSP being an entertainment system that also happens to play games, I'm on the side that believes that they'll put more effort into it. Putting Windows Mobile on VAIOs will be a long effort (Windows XP/Longhorn/whatever-name-Microsoft-invents will be definitely less costly, but I don't believe in ultraportables); while the PSP is there, they'll need only to trim the PIM part - and they're still an PalmOS licensee, so they can do the same thing as Nintendo and put the PIM apps into it.

(Looks like a damn excuse to start saving money and buy a PSP, I know... :p )

exNewt
02-22-2005, 06:58 AM
It's the "Apple Newton" story all over again - technically advanced product probably too advanced for the average user. Well I used my MP2100 for about 5 years after it was discontinued, so I'm sure I'll have my UX50 for another 3-4!

intellidryad
02-22-2005, 07:04 AM
So much for the fun.
I've got to take much better care of my NX73 from now on.
Wish I can keep it alive and running for years to come as I doubt that anyone would make anything better better then the clie in the future. (Unless Sony came out with some other non-microsoft gadget)

But we die hard clie fans are still here, aren't we? Maybe we'll make it live on like the "Newton comunity" did... T_T

Wolfgard
02-22-2005, 07:25 AM
This is a sad day for PalmOS. Maybe Sony's pulling the plug to avoid competition with Palm PIM on Nintendo DS.

sdsdsd
02-22-2005, 07:25 AM
The only surprise to me is that anyone is surprised at this news. Given the pace (horribly slow) of true innovation at Sony, it will be interesting to see what they look like in five years or so.

ucfgrad93
02-22-2005, 07:35 AM
Elvis has left the building.

clie_wannabe
02-22-2005, 07:47 AM
After re-reading this, Technically...this info still doesn't preclude Sony from releasing a device pre-July, THEN stopping production. Doesn't make any mention that between now & July, Sony WON'T release something. There is a snowball's chance in Hell of this happening though...believe me I realize that.

I know, I know...I'm GRASPING, and it's quite a stretch...but what's a Clie-lover to do????
;) :D

SIX YEARS AFTER! Wow! That's one hellava Looong time after the last model rolls of the line. To put just how LONG a time that is in perspective, who here is still using a PDA from SIX YEARS ago!?? Not many, if any...I suspect. That's such an oddly long time to me.

actually, there was something lost in the English translation - the original Japanese news would say ".... the production of the present models would continue until July 2005..."

... however, i hope im wrong...

Antoine
02-22-2005, 08:24 AM
Just because Clie is doesnt mean that Sony + PalmOS is done. Could it be that the Clie monoker is no longer appropriate to a Sony-fied PalmOS handheld. Could they in fact be working on the PalmOS in a different capacity. My wish is that Sony E would release a real Clie, then I could have the debate of a lifetime between their phones and a [better?] PalmOS smartphone.

rldunn
02-22-2005, 08:28 AM
Well, at least now I don't have to figure out how to import a Clie from Japan and burn it with the English version of PalmOS. It is a sad day - not unexpected, but still sad. My 2-year old knocked my TH to the hard floor last weekend, and I was freaking out. Thank God nothing happened to it. I'm dreading the day I have to replace it.

broadus
02-22-2005, 09:33 AM
After a year with the TH55, it more than satisfies my needs. I can see using it for another four years, although that is a long time for technology. At least I won't be tempted to spend money that should go elsewhere for a new Clie that would probably only marginally affect my use of a PDA.

Bill

phxchristian
02-22-2005, 09:54 AM
What a horrible way to start the day... :( :( :(

Anyway, as a PSP being an entertainment system that also happens to play games, I'm on the side that believes that they'll put more effort into it. Putting Windows Mobile on VAIOs will be a long effort (Windows XP/Longhorn/whatever-name-Microsoft-invents will be definitely less costly, but I don't believe in ultraportables); while the PSP is there, they'll need only to trim the PIM part - and they're still an PalmOS licensee, so they can do the same thing as Nintendo and put the PIM apps into it.

(Looks like a damn excuse to start saving money and buy a PSP, I know... :p )

I agree. My money is still going for the Sony PSP. Already have $400 saved up so I can buy a bunch of games as well. I figure Sony cut off the Clie line since they're now making the PSP which will create confusion for some if they have to choose between a Clie and a PSP that have the same functions. Have fun in March with the US release of the PSP.

-Chris

strider_mt2k
02-22-2005, 09:54 AM
I sure hope mine holds up! I don't see anyone coming close to my TH55 for a while.
Clies will be missed. :(

phxchristian
02-22-2005, 09:57 AM
Well, at least now I don't have to figure out how to import a Clie from Japan and burn it with the English version of PalmOS. It is a sad day - not unexpected, but still sad. My 2-year old knocked my TH to the hard floor last weekend, and I was freaking out. Thank God nothing happened to it. I'm dreading the day I have to replace it.

If I were you, I'd invest in a case for that TH55. I personally love Bellagio. It has a PVC plate surrounded by leather and I suppose it could survive a drop from 6 feet onto concrete. Or if you're really paranoid, get a Rhino case.

-Chris

gfunkmagic
02-22-2005, 10:27 AM
Just because Clie is doesnt mean that Sony + PalmOS is done. Could it be that the Clie monoker is no longer appropriate to a Sony-fied PalmOS handheld. Could they in fact be working on the PalmOS in a different capacity. My wish is that Sony E would release a real Clie, then I could have the debate of a lifetime between their phones and a [better?] PalmOS smartphone.

Good point...What I want to know is what are Sony's future intentions or plans, if it has any, with its PalmOS lisence from here on out? confused: The only reason I ask this is because Sony previously made a significant investment into PalmSource (I recall about ~ 20 million dollors or so) and its CEO even made statements to the fact that he was interested in buying PalmSource outright! Of course that was a couple years ago now and alot has changed since then. Will Sony simple let its PalmOS lisence expire into the darkness? Will it divest from its holdings in PalmSource? Is there still any hope for Sony Ericsson to release a PalmOS smartphone (yeah wishful thinking I know)?

Nimiety
02-22-2005, 10:40 AM
Man... I feel like the guy at the bar that suddenly realises it's 10 minutes till closing time and still needs to find a date. :)

LanMan
02-22-2005, 11:28 AM
Sorry guys. It's time to fold the flag. :(

It was terrific while it lasted, and I feel lucky to have grabbed a TH55. I hope it lasts a long time, because I don't see anything better coming down the road.

jmg_NX21
02-22-2005, 12:14 PM
I was in shock, BUT how could I be suprised. THE writing has been on the wall (esp with the MESS that is Sony Corp, etc.) and something had to give...

>_<
A sony portable with anything BUT PalmOS? Not looking forward to it, may as well look into PPCs.

BUT the way technology is moving, I'll need an ULTRA-portable and a Smartphone... IT's JUST that my NX70 is STILL going strong and I am using so many of its features & also have enough accesories to KEEP me productive for a LONG while...

It is worse considering the hoplessness that is PalmSource and Pa1mone WHICH fill me with little to NO hope for a non-Converged PalmOS device... and those smartphones that are slated to be released... none in the US...

I've sensed it's my time to move on with my Clie/PalmOS fetish...

tonyreynolds
02-22-2005, 12:48 PM
In my mind, Sony closed the door on CLIE and is moving on to PSP so that they can control the content and hence get paid for games, software, add-ons, etc.

We've all seen it before, as Sony invents new things like Memory Stick in an effort to sell the "blades" for their "razors". They want ALL of the market, from start to finish, not just the devices themselves.

And, on PSP (unless I'm wrong), they're not paying royalties for an OS. It's their's.

I'm glad I got to enjoy my NZ90 and now my TH55. Like everyone else, I'm so very sad to see the innovation that Sony brought to the PDA table gone. The VZ is no PDA, at least not by traditional standards (it's too big), and any device that runs Windows isn't either. Windows CE maybe, but why would Sony pull the plug on Palm OS when they'll almost certainly pay more to Microsoft for per-unit licensing?

I think their announcement is an effort to squash the rumors of the last few days...

Tony :(

.PoNeH
02-22-2005, 12:57 PM
I feel like crying...I just wish Sony Ericsson use Palm or PocketPC rather than Symbian. Than I would consider continuing my investment in SONY for mobile devices...

Edlin
02-22-2005, 04:47 PM
*sob* ):

exNewt
02-22-2005, 05:01 PM
"Man... I feel like the guy at the bar that suddenly realises it's 10 minutes till closing time and still needs to find a date"

At least (chortle) you've still got your Palm to keep you company.

strider_mt2k
02-22-2005, 05:33 PM
I hear there's an apartment for rent over where the Handera guys live.
Newton Village or something...

JAmerican
02-22-2005, 06:27 PM

I agree. But, it could also mean that Sony is not producing Palm OS devices, but they could be producing WM2003SE/2005 devices. The VAIOs are becoming very small and it looks like it is merging into the CLIE market. Palm OS is also not a very business-like OS in that it is very simple. I think that the end of CLIÉ marks the beginning of handheld VAIOs with Windows OS. If Sony Ericsson takes over the CLIÉ field instead, then we won't have Palm OS, or Windows but Symbian devices.

To review...
CLIÉ = Palm OS
VAIO = Windows
Ericsson = Symbian

JAmerican

winexprt
02-22-2005, 06:43 PM
I agree. But, it could also mean that Sony is not producing Palm OS devices, but they could be producing WM2003SE/2005 devices. The VAIOs are becoming very small and it looks like it is merging into the CLIE market. Palm OS is also not a very business-like OS in that it is very simple.

I NEVER understood this logic/line of thinking. So to be "business-like", it must be complex?? Because complex means business-like?? Says WHO? Sounds like "complex, for complexity's sake" to me. As opposed to what's most efficient. My uncle makes close to $300,000 a year for a large security house. Guess what simple OS he uses on his handheld? And what OS a large percentage of his colleagues use? ;)

Well...what IS a business-like OS then? WindowsCE, Windows Mobile, PPC or whatever it's being called this month? U GOT to be kidding me. I can't TELL you the number of Professional people I've talked PDA's with who almost threw their PPC OUT THE WINDOW because it was so "Crash-y" "Reset-y" and...overly COMPLEX.

jjesusfreak01
02-22-2005, 06:45 PM
I NEVER understood this logic/line of thinking. So to be "business-like", it must be complex?? Because complex means business-like?? Says WHO? Sounds like "complex, for complexities sake" to me. My uncle makes close to $300,000 a year for a large security house. Guess what simple OS he uses on his handheld? And what OS a large percentage of his colleagues use? ;)

Well...what IS a business-like OS then? WindowsCE, Windows Mobile, PPC or whatever it's being called this month? U GOT to be kidding me. I can't TELL you the number of Professional people I've talked PDA's with who almost threw their PPC OUT THE WINDOW because it was so "Crash-y" "Reset-y" and...overly COMPLEX.
Who really wants an OS which has a software command to cause a hard reset. Just one of the many problems with PPCs.

cesarcardoso
02-22-2005, 06:47 PM
I NEVER understood this logic/line of thinking. So to be "business-like", it must be complex?? Because complex means business-like??

Maybe "Complex" in "complex enough to make you make an contract with some consulting firms with some crappy certifications that will rip you to do nothing". Isn't it the way software industry works? :p

JAmerican
02-22-2005, 06:53 PM
When I said Palm isn't business-like, I should have put a " ". Kinda late now I guess. Don't take my comment as an attack against Palm for I've never used a Windows PPC, so I cannot compare.

JAmerican

winexprt
02-22-2005, 07:13 PM
Naw, not at all J. I didn't take it that way. :)

BELIEVE ME...some of us who use & love the PalmOS really don't know how good we got it...vis-a-vis certain "Other" handheld operating systems. :p ;)

I love palmOS precisely because it's powerful, YET "simple" on the surface. Best of both worlds if you ask me.

JAmerican
02-22-2005, 07:26 PM
Naw, not at all J. I didn't take it that way. :)

BELIEVE ME...some of us who use & love the PalmOS really don't know how good we got it...vis-a-vis certain "Other" handheld operating systems. :p ;)

I love palmOS precisely because it's powerful, YET "simple" on the surface. Best of both worlds if you ask me.

I was looking at Windows Mobile devices on ebay and I just couldn't choose one. They were all too ugly. The main reason I want to get a Windows device is so I can code on it as well as code programs for it. I also like the WMV streaming feature. Oh well. I'm sticking with CLIÉ till the end. It would be funny if we all have our same devices 5 years later due to our loyalty to Palm. But SONY might return within that time I hope.

Just rambiling. :o

JAmerican

inomad
02-22-2005, 08:06 PM
im not surprised. the pda industry is dying :(

Ezra4no1
02-22-2005, 08:52 PM
Wow.. well I am glad I jumped ship way back several months ago. I couldn't take it anymore. palmOne wasn't impressing me with their devices or in their future plans, and at the time Sony exited the US markets so fast as if embarressed of the CLIE.. I just smelled something wrong, and left the entire Clie and Palm OS industry. Even when I had my NX I didn't like the feeling of knowing that I was using a "dead" device. No more advance software to take advantage of my Clie.. that pretty much what I had was as good as it got. So I left.

Since going to the Pocket PC I have been happy.. I no longer feel like I have the "Newton" all over again.

darklight
02-22-2005, 09:36 PM
:p I am happy I got to enjoy the TH55, the ULTIMATE PalmOS PDA for me. :p
:rolleyes: I can't see any possible replacement out there right now. :rolleyes:

:o The rumor of a TH55 successor a few days ago was a pleasant dream. :o
This news---is a a bucket of cold water splashed over my face to wake me up....

jmg_NX21
02-22-2005, 09:45 PM
:p I am happy I got to enjoy the TH55, the ULTIMATE PalmOS PDA for me. :p
:rolleyes: I can't see any possible replacement out there right now. :rolleyes:

:o The rumor of a TH55 successor a few days ago was a pleasant dream. :o
This news---is a a bucket of cold water splashed over my face to wake me up....

lol
THANKS for summarizing my feelings!!!

eric2002
02-22-2005, 10:02 PM
yep, my NZ is beginning to die, it has all kinds of problems...

what do I get next?? PalmOne devises suck in my opinion...... man, no other choice...it may be time to go to the dark side and get a PPC????

it was a fun 3+ years of Clie though!!!

mrSONYman
02-23-2005, 12:24 AM
Also remember, the VAIOs are getting smaller so they are basically merging into the CLIE market. When you think of CLIÉ, you think Palm OS. When you think VAIO, you think laptop as well as Windows. So, I think that if Sony's new line of CLIÉs are VAIOs, they will most definately have Windows Mobile 2005. Thats only if VAIOs were something else before Windows.

JAmerican

Yeah and they will be about 2 grand like the "U" series they have out now. It is still running crappy windows XP and if you havn't had a chance to hold one of those in your hand like I did I would much rather have a Clie or better yet a laptop with me becuse the screen on that thing is so small it is not worth it. I have a "T" 160 VAIO and it is perfect for travelaing and battery life is...WOW
I guess that's why all the news states that the new CLIE will be more like a Vaio PC. HMMMMMMMMMMM? :cool:

mrSONYman
02-23-2005, 12:41 AM
im not surprised. the pda industry is dying :(

I know the PDA market is almost dead. HP is basically the only PDA I see inthe stores now and a few Palm devices so I think it is taking a walk. Here come the SMALL form factor Vaio's to replace the Clie. :cool:

JAmerican
02-23-2005, 02:50 AM
I know the PDA market is almost dead. HP is basically the only PDA I see inthe stores now and a few Palm devices so I think it is taking a walk. Here come the SMALL form factor Vaio's to replace the Clie. :cool:

The only reason HP is still in stores and Dell is because they are American companies. I believe that the economic decline has caused these companies to move out of America due to they aren't getting the income they were expecting. If HP and Dell stop producing. We are in some serious trouble. And I'm not just talking PDAs.

JAmerican

kusumo
02-23-2005, 03:03 AM
Glad I switched to Pocket PC soon after Sony's heart-breaking announcement last year. :D

Hope Clie will return in Pocket PC platform!

SamuraiCatJB
02-23-2005, 06:47 AM
Hope Clie will return in Pocket PC platform!

highly doubtful. but they might return as a PC for your pocket. :D

broadus
02-23-2005, 07:20 AM
Previous posts indicate to me that Sony may be on the cutting edge of the next best thing, perhaps a post-PDA-as-we-know-it more-of-a-computer handheld computer. If that's true, then I'll gladly hold onto my TH55 until that day arrives (perhaps even later).

Bill

SamuraiCatJB
02-23-2005, 10:12 AM
Previous posts indicate to me that Sony may be on the cutting edge of the next best thing, perhaps a post-PDA-as-we-know-it more-of-a-computer handheld computer. If that's true, then I'll gladly hold onto my TH55 until that day arrives (perhaps even later).

Bill

that's the big catch... the PPC tries to be more than a PDA, clie's actually tried to be more than a PDA offering entertainment options on some of the units. But PPC and Palm are still both custom platforms with their own processors, their own OS, their own API, etc. Now PPC windows is a subset of Windows, so "some" API is the same, the rest is "similar" but that still means some custom programming.

A true PC in your hand means all software works.... the problem is speed and cost. Pocket sized PCs in the vaio arena still cost in the $2000 level. that's quite a PDA, ouch. If that drops out of your pocket when you visit the local personal facilities.... you'll cry much harder. That is why I have problems with all in one units, you loose so much in an accident....

I still like the idea, I would rather do away with PPC specialty OS and have one single windows OS that can handle a range of processor options including a handheld.

madmaxmedia
02-23-2005, 01:37 PM
The PSP seems to be the clear heir-apparent to the multimedia functionality of the CLIE, whereas smartphones are the heir-apparent on the PIM side.

Those small VAIO's are nice, but they are even more niche devices than what PDA's have become. Whereas with the PSP you have mass-market pricing that is also heavily subsidized by attached software (game) sales.

Does the PSP have IR or additional wired connectivity? I'm thinking that if Sony wants to add computer functionality to the PSP (web, email, etc.) they will need to add some sort of input device like an external keyboard, or at least a thumboard.

PS- If some of these rumored functionalities are added to the PSP, maybe 1src should add a PSP forum. It was originally Cliesource after all, I think the site still has a heavy Sony tilt in terms of user base. There's already a lot of PSP carryover in the Video forum.

jjesusfreak01
02-23-2005, 03:20 PM
that's the big catch... the PPC tries to be more than a PDA, clie's actually tried to be more than a PDA offering entertainment options on some of the units. But PPC and Palm are still both custom platforms with their own processors, their own OS, their own API, etc. Now PPC windows is a subset of Windows, so "some" API is the same, the rest is "similar" but that still means some custom programming.
You are right, Palm as a whole has kept more to the PDA side, and only two sets of units have really moved away from that. The Zodiac series is a dedicated gaming PDA, while Sony's TH, UX, and VZ PDAs (all in the same family, they run the same basic subsystem) all are very good media PDAs. Its interesting the way that its going, but im looking forward to seeing Palms next PDA. I know it will have WiFi, because thats a feature important in the Cobalt OS, and we will kill (metaphorically, of course) them if they dont. I know it will have Cobalt because they will suffer the same fate if they dont put that in. It will actually be the first decent PDA Palm will have put out in a while.

Edlin
02-23-2005, 03:54 PM
As much as I love the Palm OS, I think long term users forget that it isnt so simple anymore. I mean, case senstive and location specific for file type (ie movies, sounds, images). Only file types being a .pdb or .prc and not being easily able to sort out what PDB belongs to what except by trail and error (is that.pdb an ereader book or a plucker document?)
And peoples learning curves may seem less steep if they use windows on PC and PDA.

ackmondual
02-23-2005, 06:16 PM
I'm not shedding any tears.
1) this was likely when they "suspended" their lineup months back.
2) I've already switched and stuck with PalmOne.
3) I've done my woes back when Handspring sold out and my Visor Neo (and its nice extras and my collection of Springboard modules) were obsolete. For the better in many ways, the z71's integrated digicam and more popular SD format were refreshing

Was it ever mentioned anywhere in anyway that the PSP will replace some of the Clie functions (say... around up to 50%)? The PSP has MUCH better gaming than a Clie (in which the Clie was even worse than PalmOne due to their unsopported jog dial, tiny/non standard buttons and their placements, and their own APIs and hardware), but Clie's had some great PIMs/productivity (enhanced PIMs) and multimedia.

From the tally, it appears that Clie vs PSP
-PSP's got much better gaming
-CLie has much better PIMs (assuming the PSP even has PIMs)
-Clie has much better multimedia (graphics cards and fast procs aside, the PSP screen is only around 480x272. Thats' not alot)
-Both about even in WL, as Clies have many Wifi and/or BT models while PSP is supposed to have add-ons/updates that let u check your email and surf the web via wifi
-about even in other add-ons. PSP has GPS add-on later on, while Clie has it's own addons

In the end, it just looks like PSP is great for games but so-so for everything else.... not quite the ideal PDA replacement

Rossi01
02-24-2005, 02:53 PM
I just hope the world does not go towards the dumb "smartphones". I can even live with a PPC but cannot even think of carrying one of those Frankenteins phones in my pocket. :mad:

So it's hoping my TH55E lasts long enough to see a next generation of inteligent personal devices.

fssia
02-26-2005, 02:21 AM
How abt Xplorer M68 which runs Palm OS 5.4? It's a phone cum PDA. May be that's where Palm OS will be heading? I personally hope so. Though I know for a fact that these kind of devices have very lousy battery life but I really prefer to stay with Palm OS, by hook or by crook! ;)

Palm is not giving up the fight as they have just recently announced that they'll work with Linus. So may be Sony will come back if the marriage between Palm & Linus work well?

IsLNdbOi
02-26-2005, 02:46 AM
How abt Xplorer M68 which runs Palm OS 5.4? It's a phone cum PDA. May be that's where Palm OS will be heading? I personally hope so. Though I know for a fact that these kind of devices have very lousy battery life but I really prefer to stay with Palm OS, by hook or by crook! ;)

Palm is not giving up the fight as they have just recently announced that they'll work with Linus. So may be Sony will come back if the marriage between Palm & Linus work well?

You mean Linux right?

Edlin
02-26-2005, 03:27 AM
Linus Torvalds: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/linus/
'writer' of the linux kernel
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/linus/small-linus.jpg
:)

IsLNdbOi
02-26-2005, 03:32 AM
Ah I see. Thanks Edlin. But all the talk I have heard has been between Palm and Linux. This is the first time I have heard that Palm is trying to collaborate with the Linus people.

DennisOS2
02-27-2005, 01:55 PM
They didn't know who their market was and therefore never appealed to their market. They were doomed shortly after the launch of the first wave. And this comes from someone that's owned and loved three Clie's.

Sony is an entertainment company ... not a technology company. If they were going to play to the strength of the company then the Clie would have been defined by its ability to play movies, MP3, games, art, even radio. Yes, we could do that on the Clie's ...... but absolutely no better than many other Palms. The screens were ahead of their time, but were losing ground there, too.

They didn't have the best movie players, not fully implemented MM API, so-so mp3 player, no ability to easily download and watch one of their own movies or songs from the internet, no native paint or drawing program. Why no PlayStation 'lite' module to sell Sony games?

Imagine getting a price break by subscribing to a Sony site to DL and watch/play one of their MM offerings on a NX80 just by an automated data export function to a CF of MS. And that's an easy concept to implement. There could have been many others that would have sold even the business travelers ................ those with the money to keep purchasing.

When the NX and UX's hit with no substantive changes, the writing was on the wall. That was the time to move in the entertainment direction with sophisticated MM apps to play all of the Sony family of entertainment media. All that had to happen is further screen and battery improvements. They could have been one-stop MM PDAs that served a broader audience (aka deeper pocketed business user, just keeping the basic PIM apps). Easily justified on an expensive report.

Given the other offerings out there, the only reason to be sad is that Sony in a small way (low market share) helped sell the platform and kept the others honest.

badphish
02-27-2005, 05:31 PM
Anybody remember the Toshiba "liberty" i think thats what they were called handtops that run regular win Os sumthing like 8 inches by 4 inches folded, with an ibm style joystick mouse, i saw them in korea in 98. the concept was cool with no real interest from consumers. i think a similar format (though i loathe winOs) with WiFi blutooth to connect to peripherals, would be interesting also i would like to see a palm os pda with the ipod form factor (40 gig hd), i really dont want a smartphone at this time. i want a phone for phone things and a pda for pda things, but id like them to be able to talk to each other.

sorry for my rambling

badphish
02-27-2005, 05:42 PM
one other thing....'

im hoping that there is heavy R&D in the battery department for all portable electronic devices. batteries need to become lighter hold a charge longer and hold more of a charge. this is what will change the portable electronic medium.

At work i Lug around a 30 lbs. lifepack 12(dont know how much it really weighs but the damn thing is heavy) most of this weight comes from the two batteries in the unit to power it and the "spare " carried in a pouch. after just a couple of calls we find our selves changing batteries. this is with normal operation, 10 minute cardiac monitoring, 1-2 12 lead ekgs monitoring pulse ox, capnography etc. for ten minutes. maybe a blood pressure or 2. if i have to defibrillate a patient or electrically pace their heart the batteries (2) might last a call.

once batterie development catches up with processor development you'll be happy, and my back will be happy.

ciao,

brett

fssia
02-27-2005, 07:00 PM
Ah I see. Thanks Edlin. But all the talk I have heard has been between Palm and Linux. This is the first time I have heard that Palm is trying to collaborate with the Linus people.Oops! It's my spelling mistake. I meant Linux. Hmmm...I didn't know Linux was written by Linus. It's just a coincidence that I misspelled as Linus.

So what do you think of the future of Palm after it hook up with Linux?

ackmondual
02-27-2005, 08:10 PM
one other thing....'

im hoping that there is heavy R&D in the battery department for all portable electronic devices. batteries need to become lighter hold a charge longer and hold more of a charge. this is what will change the portable electronic medium.

At work i Lug around a 30 lbs. lifepack 12(dont know how much it really weighs but the damn thing is heavy) most of this weight comes from the two batteries in the unit to power it and the "spare " carried in a pouch. after just a couple of calls we find our selves changing batteries. this is with normal operation, 10 minute cardiac monitoring, 1-2 12 lead ekgs monitoring pulse ox, capnography etc. for ten minutes. maybe a blood pressure or 2. if i have to defibrillate a patient or electrically pace their heart the batteries (2) might last a call.

once batterie development catches up with processor development you'll be happy, and my back will be happy.

ciao,

brett

there is, and u'll be pleased to know it's alr underway. I forgot the details, names, specifics, and can't provide links. I only bookmakr <2% of all my online browsings. What i do remember is that the battery charges itself in some way... and u can easily get 2 to 5x capacity compared to todays ratings. Try googling keywords about battery and stuff. Unfortunately, this new battery tech won't be mainstream for at least 2 to 4 years.

tonyreynolds
02-27-2005, 08:58 PM
Anybody remember the Toshiba "liberty" i think thats what they were called handtops that run regular win Os sumthing like 8 inches by 4 inches folded, with an ibm style joystick mouse, i saw them in korea in 98.

They're called the Libretto, they're still available. The originals ran Win98; the new ones run WinXP. Librettos (like Clie's), have a cult following.

http://www.dynamism.com/libretto/main.shtml

Tony