PDA

View Full Version : Finally an article stating flat panels are not good for TV.

JackAxe
01-06-2005, 06:21 AM
I was starting to think that most peeps were blind. :)

http://www.zdnetindia.com/reviews/product_news/stories/114569.html

<]=)

SamuraiCatJB
01-06-2005, 08:25 AM
and my step parents just got finished telling me that I was wrong about not wanting an LCD tv, that they love theirs... :)

mike p
01-06-2005, 10:56 AM
I have a 46" rear projection Thosiba.

winexprt
01-06-2005, 12:24 PM
I have a 46" rear projection Thosiba.

you PROMISED you would try and spell better mikey!
:p ;) :D

VicAjax
01-06-2005, 12:47 PM
I was starting to think that most peeps were blind. :)

http://www.zdnetindia.com/reviews/product_news/stories/114569.html

<]=)

i didn't know about the slimmer CRT sets coming this year! that changes everything... that's my only beef... i have a tiny manhattan living room, and a CRT takes up about half of it. i'd be all over a slim crt.

SamuraiCatJB
01-06-2005, 01:47 PM
i didn't know about the slimmer CRT sets coming this year! that changes everything... that's my only beef... i have a tiny manhattan living room, and a CRT takes up about half of it. i'd be all over a slim crt.

too late for me... I am not going to wait until July to sept for a slim CRT.... :( I will bite the bullet and upgrade now...

winexprt
01-06-2005, 01:54 PM
VERY informative piece JA..thanks. Confirmed what I have read elsewhere.

JackAxe
01-06-2005, 05:33 PM
And it's some of the things that have been rambled about on this site. :p :)

Slim is here to stay, I switched to a little 15" LCD for LAN parties because it was portable and the colors are exelent on it. (For a LCD.)

Just get a higher contrast screen Sam, it will hold up better in a brighter room. Samsung just release a 1000:1 screen, but it's $5K. I would never use that for my art though, since about 50% of all the light colors from the color gamut would probably be destroyed. :)

<]=)

SamuraiCatJB
01-06-2005, 08:46 PM
not yet for me... I am going to put off big TV for another year or three.

I will get 5K back this year, combination of barely filed in the nick of time medical reimbursement (caffeteria plan), and taxes. 1K for vacation, 1K for "toys" (which includes furnature and TV), and 3K in savings for a house. Now if I do that for the next 2 years, Two years from this march, I can buy a house with 9K down. :D THEN I can think about big screens and other goodies.

I have more than enough stuff for my current place... so I have to get a bigger place, with more room so I can get more stuff! :)

Vidge
01-06-2005, 09:04 PM
Don't wait til you have the downpayment $$ - go ahead and buy now. If you have good credit, you don't need any money down.

And I can't get to the article to read it :(

JackAxe
01-06-2005, 09:07 PM
The never ending loop of "need more room to get more stuff." When will it ever end. :( :D

Saving for a house is the right thing to do. But in 2 years your A64 will probably be showing it's age, so you'll need money for that also. ;)

<]=)

SamuraiCatJB
01-06-2005, 09:24 PM
The never ending loop of "need more room to get more stuff." When will it ever end. :( :D

Saving for a house is the right thing to do. But in 2 years your A64 will probably be showing it's age, so you'll need money for that also. ;)

<]=)

ahhhh, but that includes 1K for toys every year, and 1K for vacation every year. :)

SamuraiCatJB
01-06-2005, 09:25 PM
Don't wait til you have the downpayment $$ - go ahead and buy now. If you have good credit, you don't need any money down.

And I can't get to the article to read it :(

my ex killed my credit. If I want good credit I will need to wait 5 years until all my ex's punishment of me has moved off my credit.

Homie S
01-06-2005, 09:26 PM
link no work?

SamuraiCatJB
01-06-2005, 10:27 PM
I think the largest TV you could talk me into Jack is 30"
Phillips HDTV tube 16:9 $799
Samsung HDTV tube 16:9 $969
Sony HDTV tube 16:9 $949
Toshiba HDTV tube 16:9 $809

Those are all over 150lbs and would require me to buy a dolly (don't get funny, the transport for carrying heavy equipment) at the same time to wheel it in. I can easily lift 150lbs, but I can't carry it at the same time, too bulky.

26" HDTV or standard TV 16:9 sets are under 100lbs, I can carry those. That was where I was thinking originally. A 16:9 TV at 26" means same size for normal TV, but wider for movies. Almost all my DVDs are widescreen.

JackAxe
01-07-2005, 12:53 AM
It should work, there site was kind of slow.

We have a 36" Trinitron which weighs about 4 billion pounds. Bought it in 99. :) For DVDs it looks much nicer then any HDTV I've veiwed. I get the DVD sharpness and clarity only because it's going beyond my TVs normal rez, where as the HDs are all interpolating and revealing all the compression poo.

We only buy letter box DVDs. Something that bothers me about HDTVs, is that they promise letter box, but they still have black on top and bottom. I personally have not seen a HD yet that can truly display the 16:9 border to border without distortion. I guess they're comprimising for all the different formats including the dreaded 4:3 which are fine on me old TV.

<]=)

Vidge
01-07-2005, 09:02 PM
Got to the article. I have to agree - CRTs do deliver a better picture IMHO.

RD100
01-08-2005, 11:43 AM
Big screen TV's are great for a room full of people, or for watching sports and movies.

But for everyday TV viewing while I am working on my computer, I just have a cheap 13" color TV sitting next to my 17" CRT computer monitor.

My computer also has a TV card (ATI All-In-Wonder), so I can watch TV on my computer as well. That way, I can watch two TV shows at the same time, one on my TV, and one on my computer, and still work on my computer as well.

The ATI AIW lets me do any of the following: (1) "ghost" the TV image, so it shows a transparent TV image on top of the computer image (2) View TV image on a normal full screen (3) View TV image in a smaller sizable window.

The ATI AIW TV image on my computer monitor looks great. And since I am sitting at my desk, the 13" TV and the 17" computer monitor are excellent viewing sizes for sitting up close to both screens. The TV and the computer monitor sit side-by-side on my desk around 2" apart, so I can see both at the same time, without moving my head. The 13" TV sits on top of a DVD player, to raise the screen to the exact height of the computer monitor.

zackepceo
01-08-2005, 01:46 PM
If you've ever seen an OLED monitor in action, you have seen the end of all other formats. It's that good, I keep telling you people!

JackAxe
01-08-2005, 04:46 PM
A great TV isn't great without the format to support it. :) But I agree that OLED will become the dominate format. Can I have one before 2007. :(

<]=)

RD100
01-08-2005, 09:18 PM
For anyone not familiar with OLED technology (including me), there is this article (http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/AnchorDesk/4520-6033_16-4207725.html).

winexprt
01-08-2005, 09:55 PM
A great TV isn't great without the format to support it. :) But I agree that OLED will become the dominate format. Can I have one before 2007. :(

<]=)

I CAN'T WAIT 'till the prices for these come down to earth. :D

SAMSUNG Develops the World’s Largest 21-inch OLED for TVs

http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/images/samsung_oled.jpg

http://samsung.com/PressCenter/PressRelease/PressRelease.asp?seq=20050104_0000089670

zackepceo
01-09-2005, 01:16 AM
I must be a broken record. The costs of producing an OLED are 10 times lower than an LCD, and there is no risk of dead pixels. Lots of tiny OLEDs can be sandwitched next to each other to make one big display as well, because the screens don't have the blank border space stuff that LCD does.

JackAxe
01-09-2005, 02:30 AM
OLED screens can also be printed.

<]=)

SamuraiCatJB
01-10-2005, 02:38 PM
I can't find my new tv in google... is that a bad sign?? :(

SamuraiCatJB
01-11-2005, 10:21 AM
speaking of narrow TVs.... how about a 7" think rear projection DLP? http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2317&p=9

I am catching up on the CES news.

JackAxe
01-11-2005, 01:20 PM
DLP's are the best projection tech. Tis what they use in the movie theaters. They provide a superior image at a much wider vieing angle then current HD projectors. If I were to buy right now, it would be DLP. :)

<]=)

SamuraiCatJB
01-11-2005, 02:09 PM
I was still too cheap... I wanted HDTV more than DLP. I did look though. :) give me four or five years and I will reconsider. ;)

JackAxe
01-11-2005, 03:15 PM
Well, DLP is HDTV. :p It's just the newer tech. Plasma and the current HD projection dropped quite a bit in price after it was released the other year. :)

In 4 to 5 years I'll be buying my roll up OLED TV. It will be like one of those current projector screens that roll down from the ceiling at the push of a button. (Don't recall the name, but they have them in coference rooms.) :)

<]=)

zackepceo
01-11-2005, 03:43 PM
I think a rolling TV would be too fragile. Sandwitch the OLED between antiglare polycarbonate blocks and it will work fine for me.

JackAxe
01-11-2005, 04:07 PM
That's what you think. :p I've already seen flexible OLED screens and one advantage of OLED is it's durability, if you drop it it won't shatter like a LCD. :)

But the roll up thing is silly and I know current tech does not support it.

<]=)

zackepceo
01-11-2005, 04:25 PM
I've seen OLED screens myself as well, and the only benefit of the flexable screens I can determine is that they will break much less, because they don't rely on a fragile glass container. I meant a rolling TV would be too fragile because the screen element is exposed and will therefore be prone to partial breakage and puncture wounds.

UX50Expert
01-11-2005, 04:29 PM
This fourm is for palm users. Please take your non related issues elsewhere.

Thank you and end the rediculas post.

JackAxe
01-11-2005, 05:14 PM

Are you joking??? You did spell ridiculous all wacky. :) If so, then you're one of those peeps that goes "Shhhhh" in a bookstore. :p

But if not, then you really need to reevaluate your comment and take into account where you just posted. And maybe you should take it up wtih peeps like Joel and Reggie who'm also post non Palm related topics under "Off-Topics." ;)

<]=)

zackepceo
01-11-2005, 05:14 PM

Excuse me? This is Off-Topic, and before a few days ago, this was a valid forum for pretty much ANYTHING. Even as it is now, OT is NOT about anything Palm OS related.

UX50Expert
01-11-2005, 05:17 PM
Look Jack *** just stop the post or ill have you banned. Grow up.

JackAxe
01-11-2005, 05:19 PM
I've seen OLED screens myself as well, and the only benefit of the flexable screens I can determine is that they will break much less, because they don't rely on a fragile glass container. I meant a rolling TV would be too fragile because the screen element is exposed and will therefore be prone to partial breakage and puncture wounds.

Yes it would be very silly. :) I read about OLED billboards someplace that would be printed, so I thought why not. Even if it rolls down like a garage door I would be happy. Then it wouldn't need to bend that much. And it would have that cool in a seventies kind of way going on.

<]=)

JackAxe
01-11-2005, 05:23 PM

Are you 3? :mad: Talk about a hypocritical statement. Go ahead, try and ban me! :mad: Then you'll also want to try and ban Reggie and Joel The Founders!!!

What are you, some kind of Palm fundamentalist. :rolleyes:

<]=)

zackepceo
01-11-2005, 05:30 PM
Yes, grow up. Nobody died and made you Kaiser of Internet.

SamuraiCatJB
01-11-2005, 08:44 PM

gee, have us banned.... actually, you are the one posting Off topic in a non-palm section (check the section topics, not just the thread name)....

back on subject....

DLP is HDTV, however, you have to pay attention to 720p or 1080p on your vertical raster. 720p is part of the reason why some lcd's show lousy images. Since TV is 720x480 (though interlaced) it does not fit well on a 720p LCD. :)

Anyhow. DLP is an advanced color and light reproduction of HDTV, I decided to go HDTV without it, saving me about $500. :) I'll wait until everything is DLP, which I expect will happen.

TheBigBradWolf
01-11-2005, 09:00 PM
well...because of the construction of my house I.E. the foundation extends forward and a ledge is on top of it...I'd like an LCD TV (and computer monitor) to save space on my desk, but between the low quality and high prices...I've found it resistable...for me I think what I'll end up with is a TV tuner card and an LCD monitor...

P.S.
...when you called them "the founders" I thought of the changelings from Star Trek: Deep Space 9.

JackAxe
01-11-2005, 11:00 PM
They are the changelings. http://www.bainne.com/fun/eeek.gif

LCDs are great for computers/personal use. I'm still blown away by DVDs on mine, but for the family room my old boob tube still provides that extra vibrance and viewing angle that's needed.

Buying a computer LCD with tuner card is the best option, TV LCDs are always overpriced.

I always recommend Samsung for LCDs. :)

I'm going to buy when DLP offers a wider viewing angle and it's priced more reasonably like the current projection HDs.

<]=)

Joel
01-12-2005, 07:39 AM
Thanks for the info about Samsung. How about Hitachi? I've been to Circuit City and I'm impressed with the richness of color of the Hitachi LCDs.

VicAjax
01-12-2005, 09:15 AM
Thanks for the info about Samsung. How about Hitachi? I've been to Circuit City and I'm impressed with the richness of color of the Hitachi LCDs.

i'm not positive, but i've heard that hitachis are a good buy, because the company actually manufactures lcd screens for all the other CE companies, so you're basically eliminating the middleman.

JackAxe
01-12-2005, 02:06 PM
I found an article stating that Toshiba, Hitatchi and Matsushita are partnering to make LCDs.

<]=)

Joel
01-12-2005, 02:40 PM
Then that's amazing news! Can't wait to see what they can come out with.

zackepceo
01-12-2005, 03:14 PM
That would be very cool. I have nothing but good things to say about Samsung.

jhintonh
01-12-2005, 03:51 PM
Good Evening-

Well I am going to further muddy the water with another entrant: LCoS. Liquid Crystal on Silicon. Phillips started it, Intel pioneered it and is looking to really push it this year and JVC currently makes a few sets that utilize it. I have seen it in person and it is better than DLP as far as color reproduction is concerned. It also has the widest viewing angle of any of the large screen technologies. Plus you do not get the "rainbow effect" that a small percentage of DLP viewers complain about.

I am really torn. I started to upgrade my television this past Xmas but put the brakes on at the last second. I have a 1-1/2 year old 68" Mitsubishi HDTC rear projection monster. It is a great TV but it is big. I have the space though and simply thinner is not a reason for me to upgrade. Brighter and sharper would be. So far I have not seen anything sharper, only brighter. I will wait for the thinner, bigger CRTs.

-Jhintonh

jhintonh
01-12-2005, 03:55 PM
Good Evening-

Oh yeah, whoever the dork is that is chastising us for this thread...you need an enema.

-Jhintonh

BTW, and enema is a suppository that is inserted in the anus to aid in a more regular bowel movement schedule. When one takes an enema the clogged colon is relieved and one's system can again function properly. I recommend just such a regimen for that guy. Unclog and get a program!

zackepceo
01-12-2005, 04:25 PM
Yuck.http://blah.jpg

JackAxe
01-12-2005, 06:23 PM
Thanks jhintonh for the info LCoS, it looks great I didn't know about it and just read an article about the Sharp version. :)

<]=)

winexprt
01-13-2005, 12:07 PM
There's an article on this subject in today's Circuit's section of the New York Times. Requires registration. If someone wants, I could post the whole thing here.

Crisp, Bright Images on Flat-Panel Screens

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/13/technology/circuits/13basi.html

JackAxe
01-13-2005, 03:48 PM
I should probably register, but I'm tooooo lazy. :D

This is the future (http://www.apple.com/macosx/tiger/quicktime.html) of HDTV. Read about H.264.

I've rambled about it in the past, but it's always a good refresher. :)

<]=)

jhintonh
01-13-2005, 04:54 PM
There's an article on this subject in today's Circuit's section of the New York Times. Requires registration. If someone wants, I could post the whole thing here.

Good Evening-

Do not register at those kind of sites. Just click over to www.bugmenot.com and see if they have a registration already set up. Very cool site.

-Jhintonh

jhintonh
01-13-2005, 04:55 PM
Thanks jhintonh for the info LCoS, it looks great I didn't know about it and just read an article about the Sharp version. :)
<]=)

Good Evening-

No problem. I enjoy watching movies at home so a good TV/monitor is important to me. At least as important, if not more, is a good sound system though.

-Jhintonh

JackAxe
01-13-2005, 05:05 PM
Bummer, that bugmenot didn't have a reg entry for NYTimes, but that's a great link to know. Anything else that you know of like that. :D

<]=)

winexprt
01-13-2005, 05:13 PM
Good Evening-

Do not register at those kind of sites.

-Jhintonh

Too late. :D

JackAxe
01-13-2005, 05:55 PM
Nooooooo. :p You're in the system now. :D

<]=)

jhintonh
01-13-2005, 06:18 PM
Good Evening-

I found several for nytimes at bugmenot.

-Jhintonh

jhintonh
01-13-2005, 06:24 PM
Anything else that you know of like that. :D
<]=)

Good Evening-

Yes. At the red door, knock three times, touch the nape of your neck with a light blue colored elementary school ruler, push your pants up into your hind crack, say the following phrase, "I want me some dem good ole ribs wiff no bbq sauce" sixteen times without a pause between and spit a distastefully large mass of mucus onto your own shoe. They will let you in then.

-Jhintonh

BTW, if you do not know where the red door is then never mind. If I told you, I would have to kill you...or at least spit on your shoe.

JackAxe
01-13-2005, 08:21 PM
Is this it? (http://people.smartchat.net.au/reddoorgallery/) :)

<]=)

zackepceo
01-13-2005, 08:41 PM
Ooh, red doors.

jhintonh
01-13-2005, 11:06 PM
Is this it? (http://people.smartchat.net.au/reddoorgallery/) :)
<]=)

Good Evening-

Negative.

-Jhintonh

JackAxe
01-14-2005, 12:33 AM
Zackepceo know where it is, you should spit on his shoes. :D

<]=)

SamuraiCatJB
01-15-2005, 08:18 PM
Well... I have my new TV... I will be spoiled enough for 4 or more years. :p :D then I will see about getting an OLED screen put in as a wall. :p

JackAxe
01-16-2005, 06:01 PM
Didn't see this until now, but Congrats again on your new TV. :)

<]=)

SamuraiCatJB
01-17-2005, 10:04 PM
here's another issue on the resolution thing. :)

although they do not describe the difficulty with up-scaling from 480 to 720, they at least mention that this has to be done. That is why LCDs don't handle TV images well.

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/34579/118003.html

JackAxe
01-18-2005, 12:47 AM
Interpolationous vomitous. Tis the the scientific word for it. :)

At the game store where my friend works, they have 15" TV LCDs hooked to each game system and they all look like fuzzy interpolated poo.

<]=)

SamuraiCatJB
01-18-2005, 06:25 AM
best buy is smart enough to supply an HDTV signal to them so they all look crisp. The question is, of course, how much HDTV will you watch? :)

JackAxe
01-19-2005, 01:59 AM
Even with the HD adapter on there Xbox, it just looks slighly less pixelated, but still "Interpolationous vomitous" in my book. :)

A HD adapter is definately needed on the HD screens though. On the GameCube, the only game I've played so far that actually looked better and really needed it was Rogue Squadron 3. Multiplayer mode of course, single player sucks big time in that version. But most other games which look great on a standard tube, look overly pixelated on the HDs, even with the adapter.

<]=)