PDA

View Full Version : UX50 for $595 from Dell Home today 10/14 with free shipping and no tax

Sam K
10-14-2003, 08:25 AM
Dell has 10% off Palm OS PDAs plus a coupon code EDE4FFA2CF35 for $35 off $450+ which expires today. So you can get the UX50 for $595 and the UX40 for $505. Here are links.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?sku=A0156898&c=us&l=en&cs=19&category_id=4327&page=external

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?sku=A0156896&c=us&l=en&cs=19&category_id=4327&page=external

Enter the coupon code during checkout.

DannyWSU
10-14-2003, 08:52 AM
I only have one thing to say about this price.

TOO MUCH MONEY!

I mean, you can buy a whole desktop computer for less money. I can't believe Sony expects people to pay this much money for something that doesn't have as much functionality as a desktop computer. Sure it's not portable, but neither are many of the new Clies that Sony is producing. You have to have cargo pants or a backpack just for a pocket for the Clie to fit in.

Slim, affordable, and feature rich is what Sony needs to focus on. Not outlandish, expensive, and bulky.

Sorry, just my 2 cents.

crzygrl
10-14-2003, 09:16 AM
Wow......amazingly enough, some of us rely on our handhelds more than a 50 pound desktop. I would like to think that using mine has had a positive impact at the bedside of my patients. Sometimes, the price _is_ worth it.

Thanks for the note Sam. I am getting closer and closer to upgrading! (if only Verizon would release a bluetooth phone!)

jbarr
10-14-2003, 10:19 AM
DannyWSU: This issue consistently seems to comes up quite a bit. While I do understand that the price is high, the simple fact is that at this time, there is no other computer on the market (handheld, laptop, desktop, or otherwise) that offers the pocketable power that the UX series offers. Pocketability is key to many users.

Also, as for the size, you are correct that Sony has some rather large PDAs, but the UX series is definitly pocketable--much more so than the NX series.

I'm saving my pennies (OK, dollars) for one of these. Simply blows the doors off of my NX70V.

Sam K
10-14-2003, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by crzygrl
Thanks for the note Sam. I am getting closer and closer to upgrading! (if only Verizon would release a bluetooth phone!)

No problem. By the way, I have the exact same issue with Verizon Wireless. I also want a Bluetooth phone from them but from what I've seen of the upcoming phones, I won't hold my breath. Even the new Motorola V810 for Verizon will not have Bluetooth, meanwhile every other Motorola phone coming out this quarter and next quarter will have Bluetooth. I've heard 2 different reasons for this. One is that Bluetooth caused some kind of interference with the CDMA reception and another is that Verizon doesn't perceive any demand for it. They did have one phone in the past, the Motorola 270c but it has been discontinued.

http://commerce.motorola.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=239603&prmenbr=126&phone_cgrfnbr=1&zipcode=

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?id=42

If Verizon used SIM cards like other wireless providers, I'd buy this phone and only use it when I needed Bluetooth.

hausman
10-14-2003, 11:04 AM
OT:

crzygrl,

There are two BT phones that work with Verizon (in theory). I use a Motorola 270C with BT back (probably $150 total on Ebay). This definitely works, tho at the low qnc speed. There is also the SE T61C with the DBA-10 BT adapter (clips on the bottom). The latter is 1x capable, but unfortunately is not supported by SonyEricsson. On Dejanews, a number of people have gotten it to work, while a smaller number of people said it did not work, with no clear indication why.

So there are options - they're just not great (the 270C is a brick, but aside from dismal navigation through the phone book and some buggy software, I have to say it's a very good phone - I own two of them).

JustaNoob
10-14-2003, 02:23 PM
$565 from JandR -- but it's not on their website. Call to make sure on price. I saw it in the NYT today.

clicclic
10-14-2003, 07:29 PM
just break down and get T-Mobile. GSM is the future and so far I have had 100% reception everywhere I've been. The Nokia 3650 is amazing and the upcoming 3660 will be even better. If you're stuck in a contract then I don't know what to tell ya. All I know is Nextel was KILLING me with $180/month phone bills and I welcomed T-Mobile into my life. Go to Amazon and sign up for the free 3650 phone offer. And all you need is to add on T-Zones ($9.95/month exta). You don't need to add on the unlimited internet ($19.95/month extra)

crzygrl
10-14-2003, 08:14 PM
anyone use t-mobile in Los Angeles??

Although I am wishing for the Verizon convenience of combining all of my bills......t-mobile is sounding more and more like the alternative....

muntaser7
10-15-2003, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by clicclic
just break down and get T-Mobile. GSM is the future and so far I have had 100% reception everywhere I've been. The Nokia 3650 is amazing and the upcoming 3660 will be even better. If you're stuck in a contract then I don't know what to tell ya. All I know is Nextel was KILLING me with $180/month phone bills and I welcomed T-Mobile into my life. Go to Amazon and sign up for the free 3650 phone offer. And all you need is to add on T-Zones ($9.95/month exta). You don't need to add on the unlimited internet ($19.95/month extra)

Please elaborate! What you mean we donít need the Unlimited Internet for $20?!
How is it going to work on the unlimited T-zones!!!? I thought that was just for wap!

Unregistered
10-15-2003, 03:07 AM
muntaser7 You just need $9.95 t-zones and you can surf on your BT Palm or BT Laptop at GPRS speed (not just wap-you can open normal web pages). See other posts for configuration