PDA

View Full Version : NX80 impressions

durack
07-08-2003, 07:34 AM
Got mine yesterday.

The screen feels weird - not like previous Clie screens at all, harder to the touch. Almost like glass. A bit less sensitive but so far tolerable.

The camera is a huge improvement (the main reason I upgraded from NX70).

The unit is definitely thicker ( as thick as NX70 with CF slot). Can't use my old NX70 leather case with it.

Overall not much of a difference from NX70 (which was perfect for me except for the camera). Definitely a keeper for a couple of years unless Sony comes out with a drastically improved Clie camera.

So, if I do have a defective screen, how long until it will start to show?

tonyreynolds
07-08-2003, 09:28 AM
There will be little that Sony can do to upgrade the camera except for software tweeks due to the form factor. They cannot have a real, optical zoom because there isn't the depth available for a zoom lens, so they do it with software and call it a digital zoom.

The biggest difference is that the NR and NX70 had CMOS imaging chips which are going to give a far inferior image compared to a CCD imaging chip.

That's why the images form the NZ90 look so much better: they're based on CCD imaging.

For what the Sony PDA cameras are, they do a pretty good job...

Tony

Digicams owned:

Agfa 1280, Agfa 1680, Fuji 4700z, Minolta DiMAGE D7i

tizio
07-08-2003, 12:26 PM
My NX80 feels rock solid, in fact much more solid than any of my NR and NX series that I've had. The LCD seems more solid than that of the NX series - a bit less sensitive but overall stronger feeling - I like it (especially after the LCD shattered in my NX70...)