PDA

View Full Version : 1SRC Podcast 208

Alan G
04-18-2009, 10:52 PM
This week we cover the new details about Classic, the latest Pre and Touchstone rumors, and my initial Sprint Treo Pro impressions. [details (http://www.1src.com/?m=show&id=2171)]

Alan G
04-18-2009, 11:03 PM
Download the 1SRC Podcast show 208 transcript (http://www.smartphonefanatics.com/1srcpodcast/1srcpodcastshow208.pdf).

Download (http://www.smartphonefanatics.com/1srcpodcast/1srcpodcast208.m4a) the enhanced version of the 1SRC Podcast show 208.

Do you like listening to the enhanced 1SRC Podcast with artwork and chapter markers? Subscribe to the enhanced 1SRC Podcast feed (http://feeds2.feedburner.com/SmartphoneFanatics).

Alan G

intellidryad
04-19-2009, 09:51 PM
They should provide a discount for buying the touchstone together with the Pre. Charging $70 for a puck shaped piece of plastic is really too high. The design is really simple, there's no special shape, no special port connector, it should be easier to manufacture then conventional cradles.

But then the main point is that there is that huge "Palm" logo on the touchstone. Which means the more touchstones sitting on people's desks, the more advertisements for Palm. It's not just free ads, people PAY Palm to advertise for them.

People liked to say Apple over charge for everything, now, if the pricing rumor for the touchstone is true, Palm has just one-upped Apple in the overprice department. (comparing with the iPhone dock) What a fabulous way to screw up your customers and a nice product.

bquin
04-23-2009, 10:03 AM
thanks for another interesting show, Alan. Glad to have you back on a more frequent track.

Classic for the Pre will solve a lot of my concerns, but the biggest concern is when will the d** thing ship! So much hype from every source including Palm but so little substance. I will wait because I am not an iPhone fan, but how many others will?

Hope to hear another podcast soon...

Josser
04-23-2009, 11:17 AM
Best podcast yet, very smooth and professional and no distrackting sidetracks cut down on the length. I was disappointed there were no rants though. ;) :D

Have you checked out the 'talking points' sheet for AT&T that highlights the superiority of the iPhone over the Pre? Some disturbing and thought provoking stuff there.

http://tinyurl.com/cng6nj

Can hardly wait for your next podcast. :D

DennisOS2
04-24-2009, 03:42 PM
They should provide a discount for buying the touchstone together with the Pre. Charging $70 for a puck shaped piece of plastic is really too high. The design is really simple, there's no special shape, no special port connector, it should be easier to manufacture then conventional cradles.

But then the main point is that there is that huge "Palm" logo on the touchstone. Which means the more touchstones sitting on people's desks, the more advertisements for Palm. It's not just free ads, people PAY Palm to advertise for them.

People liked to say Apple over charge for everything, now, if the pricing rumor for the touchstone is true, Palm has just one-upped Apple in the overprice department. (comparing with the iPhone dock) What a fabulous way to screw up your customers and a nice product.
I agree with your comments on price ......... it is pricey. But we live in a world today where company logos are on e v e r y t h i n g. Your laptop, your desktop, your shirts, shoes, coats and on and on. This is no different.

intellidryad
04-24-2009, 08:28 PM
I agree with your comments on price ......... it is pricey. But we live in a world today where company logos are on e v e r y t h i n g. Your laptop, your desktop, your shirts, shoes, coats and on and on. This is no different.
One major thing about this is that the WHOLE touchstone is a great big 3D Palm logo. Last time I checked iPod/iPhone docks are just a slab of plastic, no logo. The logos on Clie & previous Palm cradles are very low key, you don't see them unless you get close. Although I would never buy a shirt with a logo that's over 30% of the front surface area, I don't hate the touchstone.

All I want to say is that huge logo makes it such an effective billboard that Palm should lower the price on these. From a marketing perspective, selling huge logos for less means more free advertisements on more desks, don't you think that's a good thing for Palm?

On the other hand, what's the point of developing a good innovative product then making it prohibitively expensive. I Palm thinks that's a good way of wasting R&D money, might as well develop more Foleo-like products and pull them off the market before launch.

Josser
04-25-2009, 09:27 AM
One major thing about this is that the WHOLE touchstone is a great big 3D Palm logo. Last time I checked iPod/iPhone docks are just a slab of plastic, no logo. The logos on Clie & previous Palm cradles are very low key, you don't see them unless you get close. Although I would never buy a shirt with a logo that's over 30% of the front surface area, I don't hate the touchstone.

All I want to say is that huge logo makes it such an effective billboard that Palm should lower the price on these. From a marketing perspective, selling huge logos for less means more free advertisements on more desks, don't you think that's a good thing for Palm? . . .
Kind of like the big illuminated apple logo on their notebooks.

Dick Tracy
04-25-2009, 12:10 PM
It's the charger/speakerphone and different Pre back that are included. From what I have heard, there will be Touchstones available without the Pre back (that includes the components necessary for inductive charging).

Conventional cradles are probably easier to manufacture along with non-wired backs.

DennisOS2
04-25-2009, 01:05 PM
Alan,

I've had a Pro on AT&T for about a year. I Like the form factor a lot. Not a fan of WM ..... even 6.1. My suspicion is the Pro is very similar to the Pre in form factor. The keyboard is just located on the slider giving space for a longer screen. Any thoughts?

DennisOS2
04-25-2009, 01:14 PM

All I want to say is that huge logo makes it such an effective billboard that Palm should lower the price on these. From a marketing perspective, selling huge logos for less means more free advertisements on more desks, don't you think that's a good thing for Palm?

On the other hand, what's the point of developing a good innovative product then making it prohibitively expensive. I Palm thinks that's a good way of wasting R&D money, might as well develop more Foleo-like products and pull them off the market before launch.
They're gambling on the cool factor. They're offering something cool to those that are to Palm like the iPhone people are to Apple. The iPhone people believe the iPhone is cool and would pay for cool accessories. I'm after the advanced functionality of the phone. I could care less how the battery receives its charge ...... electrons or inductance ......... matters not to me. Save some money.