PDA

View Full Version : 1SRC Podcast 206

Alan G
03-31-2009, 06:22 PM
This week we cover some of the recent news in the Palm community. [details (http://www.1src.com/?m=show&id=2162)]

miles4000
04-01-2009, 10:06 AM
Good to have you back.

I think best case is that Palm will come out with a utility that helps get your data from PalmDesktop/Outlook to the Web. It's clear that webOS breaks the old sync'in model on POS to the pc.

Also I think it was mention or verified that it was using wifi when they demo'd the browser.

Alan G
04-01-2009, 09:22 PM
Hey Miles.

I'm sure that there will be some sort of utility. The important thing is that it needs to be easy to use just like webOS will be.

Alan G

MrStyle
04-03-2009, 09:46 AM
This podcast is not appearing in iTunes.

Alan G
04-03-2009, 10:41 AM
It should be there now.

Alan G

MrStyle
04-03-2009, 11:35 AM
Thanks a lot!

Jimmie Geddes
04-03-2009, 09:14 PM
Very glad to have the podcast back!
This Press Release came out today regarding syncing from Outlook to Google and then using Synergy to get the data on the Pre.

http://www.marketwire.com/press-release/Companionlink-Software-Inc-970486.html

"While Palm has made few concrete announcements about Palm Synergy capabilities, the recent demonstrations with the Palm Pre and Palm Synergy show a viable Outlook solution of which CompanionLink is a part," says Wayland Bruns, CEO of CompanionLink Software. "Tim Pettitt, Product Manager for Palm Pre, at CTIA 2009 showed the Palm Pre Calendar application and discussed sync capabilities to Google. Since CompanionLink already supports Outlook to Google sync, it means Synergy/Outlook users will have the ability to get their desktop contacts and calendar information on their Palm Pre phones on the same day that the Palm Pre launches."

The software is going to be $29.95. I really think that Palm needs to ship the Pre with a FREE solution like they have always done with Palm Desktop and Outlook support via Chapura.

Don't get me wrong the more developers making and selling software for webOS is GREAT, but Palm really needs to include support for getting current Palm OS users who use Palm Desktop a way to get their information on to the Pre (those users are going to be the first ones buying the Pre).

I'm glad to see support for Classic Palm OS apps via "Classic", it really surprised me that Palm went with a 3rd party company to do it, and also there's no information about how much Motion is going to charge. IMO I Palm they should have included that as a standard app on the Pre. ACCESS is giving away Garnet VM for Nokia devices, just rubs me the wrong way a bit. I will be buying it though, and I'm glad we can still run our favorite apps while waiting for them to be ported to webOS.

I gotta go listen to the podcast, looking very forward to hearing Alan's thoughts. I've been noticing he's been having a little affair with a BlackBerry;)

Joel
04-04-2009, 01:05 AM
Hi Jimmie. I agree that the syncing software *must* come free with the Pre together with Classic. I guess it's not too late for Palm to come up with a Pre Release Promo bundling these "demo" apps for free.

Jimmie Geddes
04-04-2009, 02:16 AM
Joel will you be getting a Pre?

It seems that Palm and MotionApps like to work together. When I was beta testing the Foleo, MotionApps was creating the PIMS for the Foleo.

http://investor.palm.com/releaseDetail.cfm?ReleaseID=249868

MotionApps Provides Calendar, Contacts and Tasks Application for New Generation of Mobile Device

SAN FRANCISCO & SUNNYVALE, Calif., Jun 18, 2007 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- MotionApps and Palm, Inc. (Nasdaq:PALM) today announced that mDayscape Personal Information Manager will be available for the new Palm(R) Foleo(TM) mobile companion. mDayscape lets customers manage calendar, contacts and tasks on the Foleo and synchronizes with a Treo smartphone to access personal information on the go.

Joel
04-04-2009, 04:12 PM
Jimmie, there's no Sprint here. So I'm either hoping for one of our local providers to support it or hopefully get an unlocked version. Yes, I'd like to get one too.

I think MotionApps was chosen again because of the botched up deal with the Foleo ;)

Alan G
04-04-2009, 04:31 PM
Jimmie is correct, I have been carrying a BlackBerry Curve 8330 since December 2008. I have been telling people it was an opportunity to learn about the BlackBerry while I was waiting for the Pre to ship. That was the true, but there was another part to the story: I had become board with my Treo 755p. For all intents and purposes, I have been using the same mobile operating system since 1999 and I needed a change.

But there is an upside to all of this. By playing with the BlackBerry, I learned of a spiffy little *free* utility from Google called Calendar Sync (http://www.google.com/support/calendar/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=89955). Guess what that does. Yep, it syncs your Outlook 2003 and 2007 calendars with your Google account. (You must also be using either Windows XP or Vista. No, Windows 2000 nor Outlook 2000 is supported.)

It sounds like Palm may not be providing free sync software anymore, that we know about anyway, there is still a good (free) way to sync Outlook to Google.

I have been using Outlook Calendar Sync for a few months now and it has been working well. Google also has Google Sync for Mobile (http://www.google.com/mobile/default/sync.html) that allows you to sync your BlackBerry or Windows Mobile device to your Google Calendar. So if you have multiple devices like Jimmie and I, you still have some free options for keeping all of your devices sync'ed up with Google. (I sync my iPod touch with iCal, which is using the sync with Google Calendar option (http://www.googletutor.com/2007/01/24/syncing-google-calendar-with-ical/).)

These are just a few Windows, Mac, Outlook, Google, mobile options that are out there. The good news is that you can start playing with them today, um, while you're waiting for the Pre to ship.

See, I really did plan this BlackBerry thing out from the start. <G>

Alan G

Alan G
04-04-2009, 04:32 PM
Foleo?! Did someone say the "F" word?

Alan G

bquin
04-11-2009, 11:49 AM
Alan:

I couldn't agree with you more about PIM data transfer. I have hundreds of memos, repeatable events and contacts that cannot be ignored! I will not do a manual transfer. I can do without most Palm apps but my data is all important to me.

I still use the Palm Desktop and find it so much better than anything from Google, yahoo or Microsoft.

please clarify: are you saying that I cannot run v6 of the Palm Desktop in a 64k bit system of Windows? Or is it that the 32K bit version will run but is not optimized for 64K bit system?

Glad to hear your voice again and am looking forward to #207!

Alan G
04-11-2009, 12:08 PM
please clarify: are you saying that I cannot run v6 of the Palm Desktop in a 64k bit system of Windows? Or is it that the 32K bit version will run but is not optimized for 64K bit system?

Glad to hear your voice again and am looking forward to #207!

To clarify, Palm Desktop 6.2.x will run on both a 32-bit and 64-bit Windows XP or Vista install. What doesn't work is the USB driver for Palm OS devices to sync with a 64-bit version of Windows.

I have a 32-bit version of Vista Business installed on my Dell Optiplex 755 and I can sync my Treo 700p and 755p just fine to Palm Desktop 6.2.2 by ACCESS. If I had purchased a 64-bit edition of Windows (assuming that I also had a 64-bit processor) I would have been in trouble. The only way to get a Palm OS device to sync with a 64-bit edition of Windows is to setup a Bluetooth sync.

Check your podcatcher, show 207 was uploaded last night. If you listen to the show on your Mac or PC using iTunes, or you listen on an iPhone or iPod touch, check out the new "enhanced" 1SRC Podcast feed (http://feeds2.feedburner.com/SmartphoneFanatics).

Alan G