PDA

View Full Version : 1SRC Podcast 180

Alan G
05-08-2008, 11:40 PM
This week on the 1SRC Podcast, we cover the latest Palm rumors, this week's 1SRC Editorial, Multiple Mobiles, and why I have a Windows Mobile Treo 750. [details (http://www.1src.com/?m=show&id=2083)]

BaDZeD
05-09-2008, 12:53 PM
Great podcast, Alan!
I have also found myself using a 3 device solution:
Palm Centro, which is always with me and does quick info look up.
Asus Eee 4G for when I travel
and a Desktop PC that I use at home to do all serious work.
Recently I have started wondering about getting a fourth device to fill the gap (i did not even know there was one) between my smartphone and my subnotebook. I was looking at the upcoming Pandora system, which I intend to use as a sub-sub-notebook rather than a game emulator (the specs and size are just about perfect:
" * ARM® Cortex™-A8 600Mhz+ CPU running Linux
* 430-MHz TMS320C64x+™ DSP Core
* PowerVR SGX OpenGL 2.0 ES compliant 3D hardware
* 800x480 4.3" 16.7 million colours touchscreen LCD
* Wifi 802.11b/g & High Speed USB Host
* Dual SDHC card slots & SVideo TV output
* Dual Analogue and Digital gaming controls
* 43 button QWERTY and numeric keypad
* Around 10+ Hours battery life"- as per OpenPandora web site)

Alan G
05-09-2008, 08:45 PM
Glad to hear that you liked the show, BaDZeD. I'm just wondering if three devices is the way to go. A full computer while you are home or at your home office. A mobile computer for when you need to get things done while you are away. And then that smart device for quick and easy information access. It could work. The only problem that I see with a multi-piece solution is data synchronization. My solution was to write out data to a flash drive that was always with me. Most people won't want to put up with actually having to manage their data.

Alan G

danielmaradona
05-10-2008, 03:03 AM
Alan I have a similar solution to the one that you have right now. Yes that kind of setup will work well and obviously you are not tied down on a single device when you are doing your task. The Treo 680 has been a workhorse for me. I can do IM with MUNDU while on the road. Data synchronization has not been a problem to me because of flash drive which is 8GB most of my projects and important data are stored there. My email client is also in my flash drive so I can check my email from multiple machines and not worrying anything about leaving my data on a particular machine. My critical files and information are stored in my Treo 680. Currently on my solution I am running 3 different operating system. I have Mac OS X Tiger on my old Mac Laptop, Windows XP, and Ubuntu.... All of them has the strengths and compliment each other in a way that it increases the level of my productivity.

danielmaradona
05-10-2008, 03:08 AM
Alan, hows your experience with the 750? Last year before I buy my 680 I tested the 750 for several weeks, and I liked it a lot. Palm has done a good work in making Windows Mobile work very close like a Palm OS device. The 750 is very responsive and sleek. If Palm will ever failed to deliver on their promises this coming end of the year. I may as well move on to a new version of Windows Mobile Treo. I started making a list of the equivalent Windows Mobile software that I have in my Treo 680 so I can have a smoother transition once a I leaved my beloved Palm OS devices.

rcartwr
05-10-2008, 07:50 PM
Alan,

THree Treos in one year...good geek cred, but might be grounds for divorce. Or at least loss of ...shall we say "favor"<G>

Great show

Alan G
05-11-2008, 10:15 AM
Alan, hows your experience with the 750? Last year before I buy my 680 I tested the 750 for several weeks, and I liked it a lot. Palm has done a good work in making Windows Mobile work very close like a Palm OS device.

You'll recall that I reviewed the Treo 700wx on VZW last year for GadgetsOnTheGo.net. I like the Treo 750 better than the 700wx. Mostly because I liked the new eye candy in the Today screen gui. As with the 700wx, the 750 does have Palm's special sauce to make it more usable than say the last WM device I used, the iPAQ 3835 with PocketPC 2002.

I was shocked to see that the 750 lacked a world clock application. Something that I use on my 755p every day. I guess the trade off what that Sprite Backup was included for free. (You guys know I'm big on backups.)

Navigation is still a little bit weird. I can use the nav pad to move around to most elements on the screen, but not to some of the pull down menus up in the title bar area like I can in Palm OS. I was hoping if Palm would have addressed that with their WM 6 software stack.

Office Mobile 6.x is interesting. I have to do some more testing. I don't know if I can read/write to Office 2002/2003 file formats. I may have load Documents To Go for Windows Mobile Smartphone on the 750 to get Office 2003 and earlier support.

And I did manage to get the Spectec 802.11b WLAN card to work, so I'm going data-plan free on this device. I did purchase a 3-month, 80 minute pre-paid voice SIM card. The deal is ok, but I can't see myself using the 750 as my primary device.

If Palm fails to deliver Palm OS II by April of 2009, and somehow manages to stay in business, my next device will either be a Palm WM smartphone of some kind, or the current model iPhone when I feel I need to switch. I really hope I can stay on the Palm OS platform.

Alan G

Alan G
05-11-2008, 10:18 AM
Alan,

THree Treos in one year...good geek cred, but might be grounds for divorce. Or at least loss of ...shall we say "favor"<G>

Great show

Sure, three devices: 755p, the 750, and maybe the 800w. I'm not sure that is grounds for divorce. If I throw in a 24" iMac along with the Treos, yep, than I'll be in serious trouble.

Glad you liked this week's show.

Alan G

danielmaradona
05-11-2008, 10:51 AM
Alan thanks for sharing your experience. The 750 is great tool for corporate users who relies heavily on push email via the exchange servers. For me I'm still sticking with the Treo 680 for the time being. The resolution of the 750 is something that I don't really like. It is much better to read information on a 320x320 screen resolution device like the current crop of Palm OS Treo's. Strange thing that Palm didn't include the world clock or equivalent software on the 750. For me it is one of the most important app that I have. I used it as an Alarm Clock and its been part of my daily life for almost 3 years now since I purchased my first Palm, and Tungsten E2.

The navigation on the 750 is a breeze, compare to other Windows Mobile devices that I have used. Sending text messages is great because of the threaded sms application. The Treo 750 is really a winner and most of the people that I met that move to a Treo 750 who previously used other WM devices they are very happy with the performance of the 750.

Alan G
05-11-2008, 12:16 PM
I have to agree. If you are going to get a Windows Mobile device, a Palm Windows Mobile device is the way to go.

Maybe I'll build a list of what I consider to be missing features of the Treo 750 vs. the 755p and how much it will cost to get them up to par.

Alan G

danielmaradona
05-11-2008, 11:22 PM
I have to agree. If you are going to get a Windows Mobile device, a Palm Windows Mobile device is the way to go.

Maybe I'll build a list of what I consider to be missing features of the Treo 750 vs. the 755p and how much it will cost to get them up to par.

Alan G
I wish you write an editorial about your experience with the 750 as compared to your experience using the 755p.

:)

Alan G
05-12-2008, 12:07 PM
I wish you write an editorial about your experience with the 750 as compared to your experience using the 755p.

I probably will do that at some point. I'd like to get a good handle on somethings first so I can be fair in any head-to-head comparisons. I also think I'll be adding in a new segment to the podcast: The Windows Mobile Minute (or rant as the case may be).

Alan G

danielmaradona
05-12-2008, 12:36 PM
I probably will do that at some point. I'd like to get a good handle on somethings first so I can be fair in any head-to-head comparisons. I also think I'll be adding in a new segment to the podcast: The Windows Mobile Minute (or rant as the case may be).

Alan G

Definitely there countless things that you will hate in Windows Mobile. But we have no choice we have to leave with it. So sad, that we loyal Palm OS users will be forced to move WM because of the evident shortcomings that Palm has because of the lack of development. Hopefully next year Palm will have a fresh start if they will succeed on the releasing the NOVA and attracting developers to develop killer apps for the device.

Head to head comparison maybe going back to the same old story of Palm OS vs Windows Mobile. The landscape has definitely changed over the years and the previous conclusion maybe no longer the issue. Palm need to catch up, for a while I'm enjoying my Treo 680 and thinking of ways of using it to a new level.