PDA

View Full Version : 2gb SanDisk Memory Stick Pro Duo - not working with my TH55 (was I eBay-scammed?)

NX70BOY
05-15-2007, 07:20 PM
I just received my 2gb SanDisk Memory Stick Pro Duo that I recently purchased on eBay.

(auction link) (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260113825343)

The included adapter looked fine, until I tried inserting it in my TH55 only to find that it was just fractions of and inch too big to fit. I put the new duo card in my old adapter, and it fit, but the clie did not recognize that the card was in.

I then put the card in my computer's card reader which was successfully able to read the card, and was able to copy files to the card. (the capacity read 1.89gb) But still, the TH55 does not see the card.

I guess I'm wondering if I got scammed, or if this is an issue with my clie not being able to read big cards? I'm thinking I got scammed because the of the adapter's slightly bigger size.

The seller offers a replacement, but no refund. (no reimbursement of shipping charges of course :mad:) I don't think it's worth wasting more money send it back for an identical replacement that's not going to work either.

I've had 100% positive feedback since 2001, and I'd rather not taint that over a $20 purchase, but I'm still upset.

I know this is not an eBay forum, but I know lots of you have experience with eBay, and just want to know if (hopefully) this is an issue with my clie.

Thanks for any help.

dragonsgames
05-15-2007, 09:41 PM
Try formatting it with FAT16 on your computer.

I think it is fake, that is why it won't fit, but I don't think you can do anything besides that.

NX70BOY
05-15-2007, 10:34 PM
Can you tell me how to do that? When I try to format the drive (right click, format) the only options I'm given is FAT, or FAT32. Is FAT the same as FAT16? Or is there a different way to format with FAT16?

knank
05-16-2007, 09:59 AM
FAT is FAT16

MD_Brite
05-16-2007, 10:44 AM
It is very possible that the MS may be defective, even though it reads on the PC. You may have to see about returning/exchanging it with the seller. Always be very careful in Buying with Ebay, very similar has happened to me on a 2GB SD card a few years ago.

Aces
05-16-2007, 04:47 PM
I strongly suspect that the at least the adapter is a counterfeit one. I have a SanDisk MS Pro Duo with adapter, that I bought at ZipZoomFly.com. (http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=82540) It works great in my TH-55. Comparing it with the photo at the ebay auction link, I see the adapter in the photo is missing the SanDisk Name and symbol, which s.b. above the "M"looking symbol on the left. I can't see any difference on the picture of the duo itself. But if one is counterfeit, why wouldn't the other as well? I also noticed at least one neutral comment about this ebay seller saying he got a counterfeit 2Gb SD card (look at comment timestamped @ 4:22am on May 14,2007)

I recently bought an adapter for my Nokia phone that came out of Hong Kong. It too was a knockoff. I gave a negative but factual comment to the seller; and did not get any feedback. But that seller has so much positive feedback, it probably didn't matter.

NX70BOY
05-16-2007, 06:19 PM
Well, I formatted with FAT16, and was able to read, and move files on the computer, but clie still does not recognize. :(

@Aces
Weird thing is, the adapter i received does not look like the one pictured, and actually does have the SanDisk logo on it. but upon closer inspection, very very slight differences in minor details such as the word SanDisk, the "k" on the believed fake is sans, and the original is serifed.

And inspecting the duo card itself also showed slight differences with the genuine card, including the "GB" being a little too far from the "2.0". I also held it up the the light in comparison with my 512mb duo, and the 2gb was somewhat translucent in areas, while the 512mb was opaque.

Is it even worth any more of my money to ship it back for another fake?

dragonsgames
05-16-2007, 06:29 PM
In this case, report him. Selling a fake item is a scam, and you can have his account removed. This can help you and others, which is nice to do :)

Also, try buying another, but maybe from a real seller. You can find them in this eBay guide... http://reviews.ebay.com.au/FAKE-Sony-Memory-Stick-Pro-Duo-MagicGate-Cards-Exposed_W0QQugidZ10000000001535703

So send it back, get a refund, and report him.

DanT
05-19-2007, 11:25 PM
I bought 4 those fake 2GB MS from 4 different sources in Hong Kong and other part of China, all from eBay. They are cheap, around $20 each. Two of them didn't work. However, I was able to return them for refund. Of course I lost money from return postages. It also took them a month to 6 weeks to refund me the money.

Basically when you are buying them from eBay, you have 50% change to get the 2GB MS working with your TH55. All 4 of them work with my PC, however. One of the good working one has too big of adapter that got stuck in my TH55. Luckily I was able to pull it out with a long-nose plyer. I would guess about 90% of 2GB MS in eBay are fake. You either look for the genuine 10% ones and pay extra, like $20-30 more than the fake ones or take the 50% chance to get a working one.

I recently bought two more from eBay:
Item number: 250109583760 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=015&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=250109583760&rd=1&rd=1)
Item number: 250113140129 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=015&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=250113140129&rd=1&rd=1)
They are more expensive, around $30, and seem to be those of the better quality fake 2GB MS Duos. I'll post my finding to this thread later (fingers crossed).

DanT
05-22-2007, 08:28 PM
I received one of them. It is a good one. The 2GB MS Duo works with my TH55s and its MS Duo Adaptor fits fine, i.e., slide in/out and lock easily in TH55 MS slot. It is a good buy. Get the ones that look like the picture, below:

5/23/07 update news:
The second one came in and it's also working fine. Lucky me, I guess. These seem to be in better quality than the other fake ones. No wonder they are about $10 more expensive.

http://i12.ebayimg.com/02/i/000/8f/42/9d98_1_b.JPG